This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Among the choices of what to bring with you when evacuating, the furry (and reptile) members of your family usually are near the top of many people’s lists. However, if you’re evacuating by air, families face the added expense and trouble of having to pay for these family members to come along — in addition to what could be extraordinarily high costs for the humans’ tickets.
That is, unless you’re evacuating on Delta. Now through September 12, Delta is waiving all pet-in-cabin and checked pet baggage fees for travelers leaving from — or returning to — 27 airports across Florida, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, the Virgin Islands and the Bahamas.
Here’s a map of the covered airports:
There are no stated restrictions on the distance that you can travel with these waived fees. However, if you’re crossing national borders, you’ll want to be sure to check regulations and bring required documentation to ensure that your pet will be able to enter the country with you.
As animal lovers here at TPG, we applaud this move by Delta. While evacuees would be likely to pay whatever fees are required to keep their pets with them, this gesture demonstrates that the airline is doing what it can to make evacuating a bit easier.
Featured image by Auscape / Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards