Airlines Start Emergency Relief Flights to Puerto Rico
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As Puerto Rico continues to deal with the destruction that Hurricane Maria dealt to the island, airlines have started relief flights to help its people.
Friday morning, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo flew to Puerto Rico on a special JetBlue charter flight, one of two A321 aircraft — one with Cuomo and other government and emergency response workers aboard and the other full of emergency supplies. According to CBS News the provisions include 34,000 bottles of water, 9,600 ready-to-eat meals, 3,000 canned goods, 500 flashlights, 1,400 cots, 1,400 blankets, 1,400 pillows and 10 generators. 60 National Guard troops, 50 state police, four Black Hawk helicopters, 10 workers form the New York Power Authority and drones plus two drone pilots are being sent down to help.
New York has a large population of Puerto Ricans and Governor Cuomo has pledged New York’s support to the US territory. JetBlue flight 8521, full of supplies, left at 8:31 am, while Cuomo’s flight 8023 left at 8:43am. Both flights arrived safely at San Juan International Airport (SJU) although SJU is still not fully functional.
“We are honored to support this relief flight, the first of many to come, as the people of Puerto Rico begin to recover from this terrible event. Our hearts go out to all those impacted,” said Robin Hayes, president and CEO of JetBlue. “As the largest airline in Puerto Rico, we are in a unique position to work with them to support our crewmembers, customers and communities across the island.”
American said it planned on operating five round-trip 737 flights from Miami to San Juan and one roundtrip A330-200 flight from Philadelphia (PHL) to help with relief efforts.
Sheli Muniz of NBC Miami was aboard American flight 9243 full of AA supplies and crewmembers who were on their way to restart operations at SJU. It took off at 07:28AM EDT and landed at 09:46AM AST. Supplies included food, water, lanterns, cots, tarps, fans, batteries, boots and generators. Muniz captured workers unloading supplies from the 737.
Hours after American’s flight landed, President Trump tweeted Friday thanking the airline and its CEO Doug Parker for all the relief flights they have operated to areas affected by recent Hurricanes.
Most major US airlines, except United, will be resuming limited passenger flights to San Juan starting Saturday, although the island is still without power.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees