United Now Lets You Check in, Get Flight Status With Amazon Alexa
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I hardly interact with my Amazon Echo these days, but I have friends and family members who still regularly use the platform — and brands from many industries continue to roll out “skills” for the speaker’s chat bot, Alexa. However, as a (very) frequent United flyer, a new Alexa ability has me particularly intrigued.
While it appears that Alexa’s latest airline skill has been around for a couple weeks, I didn’t notice the feature until Jason Rabinowitz pointed it out today:
That’s right, Alexa’s now United-enabled — you can ask about amenities, check your flight status and even check in (for flights within the US only). Click here to enable the United skill, then you can activate it each time by saying “Alexa, ask United” followed by your choice of prompt.
So if you’d like to find out if you’ll be able to charge your gear onboard, you can say “Alexa, ask United: does flight 78 have power outlets?” Or, assuming you’ve linked your MilagePlus account, you can say “Alexa, ask United to check me in” or “Alexa, ask United what time is my flight,” to check in for your flight or find out the departure time, respectively.
Have you used Alexa’s United skill?
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.