This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I hardly interact with my Amazon Echo these days, but I have friends and family members who still regularly use the platform — and brands from many industries continue to roll out “skills” for the speaker’s chat bot, Alexa. However, as a (very) frequent United flyer, a new Alexa ability has me particularly intrigued.
While it appears that Alexa’s latest airline skill has been around for a couple weeks, I didn’t notice the feature until Jason Rabinowitz pointed it out today:
That’s right, Alexa’s now United-enabled — you can ask about amenities, check your flight status and even check in (for flights within the US only). Click here to enable the United skill, then you can activate it each time by saying “Alexa, ask United” followed by your choice of prompt.
So if you’d like to find out if you’ll be able to charge your gear onboard, you can say “Alexa, ask United: does flight 78 have power outlets?” Or, assuming you’ve linked your MilagePlus account, you can say “Alexa, ask United to check me in” or “Alexa, ask United what time is my flight,” to check in for your flight or find out the departure time, respectively.
Have you used Alexa’s United skill?
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees