United Now Lets You Check in, Get Flight Status With Amazon Alexa
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I hardly interact with my Amazon Echo these days, but I have friends and family members who still regularly use the platform — and brands from many industries continue to roll out “skills” for the speaker’s chat bot, Alexa. However, as a (very) frequent United flyer, a new Alexa ability has me particularly intrigued.
While it appears that Alexa’s latest airline skill has been around for a couple weeks, I didn’t notice the feature until Jason Rabinowitz pointed it out today:
That’s right, Alexa’s now United-enabled — you can ask about amenities, check your flight status and even check in (for flights within the US only). Click here to enable the United skill, then you can activate it each time by saying “Alexa, ask United” followed by your choice of prompt.
So if you’d like to find out if you’ll be able to charge your gear onboard, you can say “Alexa, ask United: does flight 78 have power outlets?” Or, assuming you’ve linked your MilagePlus account, you can say “Alexa, ask United to check me in” or “Alexa, ask United what time is my flight,” to check in for your flight or find out the departure time, respectively.
Have you used Alexa’s United skill?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.