Qatar Airways Reinstating Some $555+ Business-Class Bookings
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sunday night, Qatar Airways was offering an out-of-this-world business-class fare, from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (SGN) to many of its destinations around the world, starting at just $555 round-trip. I had some potential schedule conflicts that I wasn’t able to clear up that same night, and since Qatar doesn’t offer the ability to cancel tickets for free within 24 hours (as many carriers do), I made the (generally regrettable) decision to put my flight on hold instead of ticketing right away. As a result, my hold was canceled — the same happened to other customers who had put their bookings on hold.
But that’s not all — the airline reportedly began canceling some confirmed flights (to non-US destinations) as well. As it turns out, several customers who had put their flights on hold initially but later returned to purchase their flights also had their travel canceled, while many of those with flights that were issued immediately (and never placed on hold) appeared to be in the clear.
Now, it seems that the airline is reversing course — according to TPG readers and other reports, tickets that were issued and later cancelled are now being reinstated, either automatically, after calling the airline or sending a request via direct message on Twitter. I gave the airline’s US number a ring at (877) 777-2827, and after an 18-minute hold I managed to get a very unfriendly agent on the line. She explained that “promotion fares” issued in R class can only be held for two hours, even though the website offers 48-hour holds, and my email confirmation clearly states:
Booking status: On-hold | Your booking expires on (local time in the city of departure) : Wed, 2 Aug 2017, 08:00
So unfortunately it seems that I won’t be able to purchase this fantastic fare — although I reached out via Twitter DM just in case.
The agent suggested that I submit a complaint on the website, since the purchase page and my email confirmation clearly reflect a 48-hour hold option. (You can file a complaint of your own on this page.)
Either way, I’ve learned my lesson this time around, and I’m sure another opportunity will pop up within the next few months (on another airline, I imagine). In the meantime, I recommend checking out 5 Things to Keep in Mind When You See an Insane Flight Deal — so you’re ready to act whenever the next deal appears.
Was your Qatar Airways flight reinstated?
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.