7 Hawaii Locals To Follow On Instagram
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We may be biased, but there’s really no place on Earth quite like this handful of sun-drenched, mid-Pacific islands — only in Hawaii can you find blue lagoons, lush rain forests, cascading waterfalls and famous surf beaches at almost every turn. Fancy a weekend escapade and unsure of where exactly to go? Fret not. Let these seven Instagrammers show you where the adventure lies. You’ll thank them for it — just say mahalo.
Ha’a Keaulana, whose name means “Joyful Dancing Sea,” is a self-proclaimed surftographer, a marriage of surfing and photography. Growing up on the west side of Hawaii, she recalls choosing beaches over playgrounds in her childhood days — an opinion she still firmly holds today. While she’s reluctant to reveal some of her secret surf spots, she counts Makaha, Ali’i beach and Ehukai as some of her favorite places to ride the waves.
As Anthony Castro will show you, there’s so much more to the islands than beaches and surfing. Born and raised in Hawaii, the adventure photographer spent his childhood finding hidden hikes, swimming holes, caves and towers to jump off of. In his words, “every day was a new adventure and no matter how many mountains you’ve been on, waterfalls you’ve jumped off or caves you went through, they are all different and have something special to offer.”
Tara Michie is a Hawaii-based creative whose priorities clearly lie in the sea, and her feed may best represent the dreamy beach life that many dream of. The Big Island-born photog credits the pace, the lifestyle and the waves that make the North Shore such a special place to live in. The best place to catch her is by the beach; even if the surf is down, chances are you’ll find her taking a nice long stroll or simply lazing along the white sandy beaches.
Brooke Dombroski is yet another Hawaii-based photographer/creative that’s making waves on the gram. Based on O’ahu, her amazing photos aim to showcase an authentic look at the surf/beach lifestyle of the North Shore, and it definitely didn’t go unnoticed; she counts Urban Outfitters, Billabong Women’s and Hurley as some of her clients.
While others showcase the Hawaiian surf culture, Alicia Ward takes you under the water — and under the surfers — to show the beautiful and diverse marine life along the Hawaiian coastline. From dolphins and sharks to sea turtles, there probably isn’t one species Alicia hasn’t swam alongside. She and her husband Jim also dedicate their time toward the great cause of ocean education and preservation.
Kailua local Jimmy Wilkinson seeks to provide a different view of Hawaii — not underwater, but from above in the air. Otherwise known as OpticalHi, the drone photographer specializes in aerial photography with the aim of showcasing paradise from a whole new perspective. Jimmy has made quite a name for himself within the Hawaiian drone photography community since he started in 2014; his work was featured in an American Express campaign and on the new bank cards for American Savings Bank.
Three Hawaiian brothers, Nainoa, Makana and Kapono, are taking the road less traveled, each in different fashion — by air, land and sea. Based in Honolulu, the trio has perhaps one of the most comprehensive Instagram takes on Hawaii’s landscapes, bringing you from the majestic Hanakapi’ai Falls to the peaks of Haleakalā National Park.
Are there any other Hawaii locals you like to follow on Instagram? Tell us about them in the comments, below.
Featured image courtesy of James R.D. Scott via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees