7 Hawaii Locals To Follow On Instagram
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We may be biased, but there’s really no place on Earth quite like this handful of sun-drenched, mid-Pacific islands — only in Hawaii can you find blue lagoons, lush rain forests, cascading waterfalls and famous surf beaches at almost every turn. Fancy a weekend escapade and unsure of where exactly to go? Fret not. Let these seven Instagrammers show you where the adventure lies. You’ll thank them for it — just say mahalo.
Ha’a Keaulana, whose name means “Joyful Dancing Sea,” is a self-proclaimed surftographer, a marriage of surfing and photography. Growing up on the west side of Hawaii, she recalls choosing beaches over playgrounds in her childhood days — an opinion she still firmly holds today. While she’s reluctant to reveal some of her secret surf spots, she counts Makaha, Ali’i beach and Ehukai as some of her favorite places to ride the waves.
As Anthony Castro will show you, there’s so much more to the islands than beaches and surfing. Born and raised in Hawaii, the adventure photographer spent his childhood finding hidden hikes, swimming holes, caves and towers to jump off of. In his words, “every day was a new adventure and no matter how many mountains you’ve been on, waterfalls you’ve jumped off or caves you went through, they are all different and have something special to offer.”
Tara Michie is a Hawaii-based creative whose priorities clearly lie in the sea, and her feed may best represent the dreamy beach life that many dream of. The Big Island-born photog credits the pace, the lifestyle and the waves that make the North Shore such a special place to live in. The best place to catch her is by the beach; even if the surf is down, chances are you’ll find her taking a nice long stroll or simply lazing along the white sandy beaches.
Brooke Dombroski is yet another Hawaii-based photographer/creative that’s making waves on the gram. Based on O’ahu, her amazing photos aim to showcase an authentic look at the surf/beach lifestyle of the North Shore, and it definitely didn’t go unnoticed; she counts Urban Outfitters, Billabong Women’s and Hurley as some of her clients.
While others showcase the Hawaiian surf culture, Alicia Ward takes you under the water — and under the surfers — to show the beautiful and diverse marine life along the Hawaiian coastline. From dolphins and sharks to sea turtles, there probably isn’t one species Alicia hasn’t swam alongside. She and her husband Jim also dedicate their time toward the great cause of ocean education and preservation.
Kailua local Jimmy Wilkinson seeks to provide a different view of Hawaii — not underwater, but from above in the air. Otherwise known as OpticalHi, the drone photographer specializes in aerial photography with the aim of showcasing paradise from a whole new perspective. Jimmy has made quite a name for himself within the Hawaiian drone photography community since he started in 2014; his work was featured in an American Express campaign and on the new bank cards for American Savings Bank.
Three Hawaiian brothers, Nainoa, Makana and Kapono, are taking the road less traveled, each in different fashion — by air, land and sea. Based in Honolulu, the trio has perhaps one of the most comprehensive Instagram takes on Hawaii’s landscapes, bringing you from the majestic Hanakapi’ai Falls to the peaks of Haleakalā National Park.
Are there any other Hawaii locals you like to follow on Instagram? Tell us about them in the comments, below.
Featured image courtesy of James R.D. Scott via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.