Cruise Ship Goes Dark for 10 Nights to Avoid Pirate Attack
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Of the many things that could go wrong on a luxury cruise, a potential pirate attack doesn’t come to mind. But for the 1,900 passengers sailing from Sydney to Dubai aboard the Sea Princess, that impossibility seemed all too real as their ocean liner became a “ghost ship” for 10 nights.
The captain-mandated blackout — recounted on news.com.au by passenger and writer Carolyne Jasinski — prohibited nighttime outdoor pool access, movies and deck parties, among other things, as the liner sailed through a section of the Indian Ocean.
“All around the ship, as the sun set, all curtains were drawn and all shutters closed,” Jasinski wrote. “Bright lights, which normally signal the presence of the Sea Princess on the ocean, were dimmed or turned off altogether.”
Jasinski wrote that after days of wild passenger speculation (travelers speculated about everything from vampires to terrorism) Captain Gennaro Arma addressed the ship.
“He apologized for alarming passengers. However, the threat, he said, was real and the ship must be prepared for a pirate attack,”Jasinski wrote.
According to her account, the passengers were also told that if pirates did approach the ship, which the captain noted could outrun their boats, the ship’s crew would spray them with fire hoses or activate a sonic boom to deter them.
Thankfully, the precautionary measures were just that, and no pirates appeared on the voyage. The Points Guy reached out to Princess Cruises to learn more about the apparent incident, and while an email statement declined to discuss safety procedures, it did add some context to the somewhat odd events.
“In addition to our normal ongoing security training, additional piracy specific training is conducted prior to any of our vessels entering areas of concern,” the statement read. “Any measures aboard Sea Princess were simply taken out of an abundance caution and not in response to a specific concern. The safety and security of our guests and crew is our number-one priority.”
Featured image of the Sea Princess courtesy of Kees Thorn via Flickr
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees