Credit Card Companies Are Cutting Ties with Hate Groups
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Major US credit card companies are severing ties with extremists and hate groups, after backlash from activists alleging that those groups’ websites were able to raise funds using credit card payments, Bloomberg reported on Wednesday.
The companies taking action include Discover, Visa and MasterCard. In emailed statements to The Points Guy, spokespersons for both Visa and MasterCard said that the companies reviewed lists of groups they found objectionable and then made the decision to end ties with the groups.
“In recent months, concerned organizations provided Visa an extensive list of websites, including hate sites, religious organizations, and political groups, which they find offensive,” the Visa spokesperson said. “Our financial institution clients are prohibited from submitting illegal transactions into the Visa payment system and, in working with them, it was determined that a number of these sites were not adhering to those financial institutions’ acceptable use policies and/or were engaging in illegal activities.”
Visa said that “these sites are no longer able to accept Visa payments.” The decision does not “restrict transactions that are legal and involve free speech or lawful expression of views, even if we may find the organization or its positions to be offensive,” Visa added.
MasterCard is taking a similar tack, and “shutting down the use of our cards on sites that we believe incite violence,” according to an emailed statement from Senior Vice President of North America Communications James Issokson.
“If and when we are made aware of merchant activity that is illegal or otherwise in violation of our rules, we reach out to the merchant’s bank to ensure the activity ceases,” Issokson said. “We have reviewed a comprehensive list of websites provided by civic leaders and others. We are shutting down the use of our cards on sites that we believe incite violence.”
Payment network PayPal also said in a statement on its website that it is working to “ensure that our services are not used to accept payments or donations for activities that promote hate, violence or racial intolerance. This includes organizations that advocate racist views, such as the KKK, white supremacist groups or Nazi groups.”
Featured image by Damien Meyer/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees