See Some of the Best Photos and Videos of the Eclipse From Airplanes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The United States seemed to pause for a few minutes Monday as people stepped outside to catch a glimpse of the historic solar eclipse that cut a path West to East across the continental US. A few airlines, including Alaska and Southwest, set up special flights for those who wanted to view the eclipse along the “path of totality.”
TPG contributor Paul Thompson chased the solar eclipse on one of the themed Southwest flights — but he was just one of many people on airplanes trying to capture the phenomenon from above the clouds
We’ve scoured the internet and rounded up some of the best pictures and videos of the eclipse, all shot from airplanes.
Tanya Harrison, a scientist who works at Arizona State University, was aboard an Alaska Airlines flight with other scientists and journalists who were tracking the eclipse, and she got this video:
Here are highlights from Alaska’s special flight — you’ll see the eclipse occur at 00:29 and at 00:50:
An NBC news producer captured some footage through his special eclipse glasses Southwest flight 363 from Chicago to Pittsburgh:
From a United flight:
Onboard the Alaska eclipse chaser flight:
National Geographic shared this image:
More pictures from NASA astronaut Michael Barratt, who was aboard the Alaska flight:
Although not shot from airplanes, these pictures of aircraft passing directly under the eclipse are stunning:
Lastly here’s a bonus clip from a beautiful solar eclipse that occurred in 2015:
Featured image courtesy of Alaska Airlines.
Were you on a flight during the eclipse? What did you see?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.