See Some of the Best Photos and Videos of the Eclipse From Airplanes
The United States seemed to pause for a few minutes Monday as people stepped outside to catch a glimpse of the historic solar eclipse that cut a path West to East across the continental US. A few airlines, including Alaska and Southwest, set up special flights for those who wanted to view the eclipse along the “path of totality.”
TPG contributor Paul Thompson chased the solar eclipse on one of the themed Southwest flights — but he was just one of many people on airplanes trying to capture the phenomenon from above the clouds
We’ve scoured the internet and rounded up some of the best pictures and videos of the eclipse, all shot from airplanes.
Tanya Harrison, a scientist who works at Arizona State University, was aboard an Alaska Airlines flight with other scientists and journalists who were tracking the eclipse, and she got this video:
Here are highlights from Alaska’s special flight — you’ll see the eclipse occur at 00:29 and at 00:50:
An NBC news producer captured some footage through his special eclipse glasses Southwest flight 363 from Chicago to Pittsburgh:
From a United flight:
Onboard the Alaska eclipse chaser flight:
National Geographic shared this image:
More pictures from NASA astronaut Michael Barratt, who was aboard the Alaska flight:
Although not shot from airplanes, these pictures of aircraft passing directly under the eclipse are stunning:
Lastly here’s a bonus clip from a beautiful solar eclipse that occurred in 2015:
Featured image courtesy of Alaska Airlines.
Were you on a flight during the eclipse? What did you see?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees