This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The United States seemed to pause for a few minutes Monday as people stepped outside to catch a glimpse of the historic solar eclipse that cut a path West to East across the continental US. A few airlines, including Alaska and Southwest, set up special flights for those who wanted to view the eclipse along the “path of totality.”
TPG contributor Paul Thompson chased the solar eclipse on one of the themed Southwest flights — but he was just one of many people on airplanes trying to capture the phenomenon from above the clouds
We’ve scoured the internet and rounded up some of the best pictures and videos of the eclipse, all shot from airplanes.
Tanya Harrison, a scientist who works at Arizona State University, was aboard an Alaska Airlines flight with other scientists and journalists who were tracking the eclipse, and she got this video:
Here are highlights from Alaska’s special flight — you’ll see the eclipse occur at 00:29 and at 00:50:
An NBC news producer captured some footage through his special eclipse glasses Southwest flight 363 from Chicago to Pittsburgh:
From a United flight:
Onboard the Alaska eclipse chaser flight:
National Geographic shared this image:
More pictures from NASA astronaut Michael Barratt, who was aboard the Alaska flight:
Although not shot from airplanes, these pictures of aircraft passing directly under the eclipse are stunning:
Lastly here’s a bonus clip from a beautiful solar eclipse that occurred in 2015:
Featured image courtesy of Alaska Airlines.
Were you on a flight during the eclipse? What did you see?
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees