This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The United States seemed to pause for a few minutes Monday as people stepped outside to catch a glimpse of the historic solar eclipse that cut a path West to East across the continental US. A few airlines, including Alaska and Southwest, set up special flights for those who wanted to view the eclipse along the “path of totality.”
TPG contributor Paul Thompson chased the solar eclipse on one of the themed Southwest flights — but he was just one of many people on airplanes trying to capture the phenomenon from above the clouds
We’ve scoured the internet and rounded up some of the best pictures and videos of the eclipse, all shot from airplanes.
Tanya Harrison, a scientist who works at Arizona State University, was aboard an Alaska Airlines flight with other scientists and journalists who were tracking the eclipse, and she got this video:
Here are highlights from Alaska’s special flight — you’ll see the eclipse occur at 00:29 and at 00:50:
An NBC news producer captured some footage through his special eclipse glasses Southwest flight 363 from Chicago to Pittsburgh:
From a United flight:
Onboard the Alaska eclipse chaser flight:
National Geographic shared this image:
More pictures from NASA astronaut Michael Barratt, who was aboard the Alaska flight:
Although not shot from airplanes, these pictures of aircraft passing directly under the eclipse are stunning:
Lastly here’s a bonus clip from a beautiful solar eclipse that occurred in 2015:
Featured image courtesy of Alaska Airlines.
Were you on a flight during the eclipse? What did you see?
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards