AA Caps the Number of Segments You Can Fly per Award
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been a while since there’s been a significant change to American Airlines’ AAdvantage mileage program. So, we were anxious to see new changes loaded to the AAdvantage award chart website Thursday morning. Turns out, it’s not a massive change — but still one that might limit travelers’ upcoming award redemptions.
Effective immediately, AA has capped the number of segments that you can fly on a one-way award booking. For domestic award flights, you’re limited to just three flights. For international awards, you can only book four segments to reach your destination. If your award booking requires more flights, you’ll have to split the booking into two different awards.
An airline spokesperson explained that this shouldn’t have much of an impact. AAdvantage redemptions already required that you take the most-direct routing available — even before these changes you weren’t able to book circuitous awards to get more out of your business or first-class award. These new changes “are in line with [AA’s] most direct routing rule and allows [it] to better support [its] partner airlines.”
For domestic flights, this new limitation is a fairly moot point. It’s tough enough to get AAward AAvailability on one AA flight, much less four.
However, we can see this limitation being an issue on international flights — especially if you’re starting in a non-hub city and heading to a more remote destination. If domestic award availability forces you to connect a couple of times domestically, you might be limited to only 1-2 flights to get from your international gateway city to your final destination. While we can’t think of any past award bookings that have required more than four legs, there could be travelers with upcoming bookings that might be affected by this change.
While relatively minor, this is a change that could impact your award booking plans. Make sure that you’re aware of this new segment limitation when searching for your next AAdvantage award booking.
Can you think of an AAdvantage award that’ll be limited by these new rules?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees