Fly Long-Haul in United’s Brand-New Polaris Cabin For Just 40k Miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Who wants to go to Hawaii? To…morrow. As TPG reader Peter H. discovered, United’s flying its brand-new 777-300ER from Chicago (ORD) to Honolulu (HNL) and back, giving passengers an opportunity to experience the new plane on a long domestic flight.
At 9 hours on the westbound leg, ORD-HNL is roughly the length of Tokyo (NRT)-San Francisco (SFO), but since this is a flight from the mainland to Hawaii, you’ll need to redeem just 40,000 MileagePlus miles for the Polaris cabin, vs. 65,000 miles for the Tokyo flight — note that you’ll get regular domestic first-class service, though, rather than the full Polaris experience.
You can use your miles to fly in both directions — ORD-HNL and HNL-ORD later in the day — but you’ll definitely want to spend the extra 17,500 for the “first class” cabin in this case, since economy is arranged in a dense 3-4-3 configuration on this plane.
Availability is “wide open” on both flights, which means there are 9 or more seats available for sale and awards in both Polaris and economy class. You can also book coach and redeem a Regional Premier Upgrade to instantly confirm first class, if that’s what you’d prefer.
If you can’t make this flight, there should be other opportunities to catch the 777-300ER on a “random” route — United now has 12 copies in its fleet, and with other 77W flights yet to launch, the airline’s flying this new aircraft on a variety of domestic and international routes, instead.
For example, here’s where the plane operating tomorrow’s ORD-HNL-ORD round-trip has been over the past few days:
Of course, tracking down these planes on irregular routes is easier said than done — if your seat map has been swapped for one with the configuration seen above, there’s a good chance you’ve lucked out with the 777-300ER, though. Meanwhile, if you’re looking for something to book, you can track United’s 12 777-300ERs using the links below (I’m also including an “interesting” route each plane recently flew):
- N2331U — (San Francisco-Honolulu)
- N2332U — (Newark-San Juan)
- N2333U — (Chicago-San Francisco)
- N59034 — (Newark-Beijing)
- N2135U — (Scheduled service only)
- N2136U — (Washington, D.C.-London)
- N2737U — (San Francisco-Washington, D.C.)
- N2138U — (Recent delivery)
- N2639U — (Chicago-Brussels)
- N2140U — (Denver-San Francisco)
- N2341U — (Boston-San Francisco)
- N2142U — (Recent delivery)
Have you unexpectedly scored a 777-300ER on your recent United flight?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees