Tip: Use Bike-Share Programs to Explore New Cities
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling to new cities can get pricey. Between the airfare, cost of the hotel and more, there’s sometimes little money leftover for a tour. One of the best ways to save money when exploring a new city is through a bike-sharing program.
For those not familiar, a bike-share program allows you to check out a bike at one station, ride it for a limited amount of time and then return it to a station. As of December 2016, around 1,000 cities around the world have a bike-sharing program… here are just a few examples:
- Barcelona (Bicing)
- Boston (Hubway)
- Brussels (Villo!)
- Chicago (Divvy)
- Hong Kong (Gobee.bike)
- London (Santander Cycles)
- Los Angeles (Metro Bike Share)
- Madrid (BiciMAD)
- New York City (Citi Bike)
- Oslo (Oslo Bysykkel)
- Paris (Vélib)
- Sāo Paulo (Bike Sampa)
When you’re planning your next trip, be sure to check with the city’s website to see if a bike-sharing option is available. In most cases, you can buy single-use passes or day passes if you plan to use a bike for an entire day. One of the best ways to see a city is by walking or biking through its streets, and bike shares make the latter option much easier. The low cost will help to save money on your vacation — and you can skip your cycling class with a scenic workout.
Featured image courtesy of Ramin Talaie via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees