Southwest is Flying a Shark-Themed Boeing 737 in Honor of Shark Week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Shark Week is about to take flight…with the help of Southwest Airlines. The popular week of shark-filled programming — which is set to air on Discovery Channel from July 23 through July 30 — is making an appearance at 35,000 feet on one of Southwest’s Boeing 737-700 planes. The airline, known for its signature blue paint scheme, is featuring shark-themed livery “swimming” along its fuselage now until August 31.
According to Southwest’s Director of Communications, Brandy King, ”[The] partnership with Discovery connects Southwest with the millions of fans around the world who tune in each year for the week-long phenomena that is Shark Week.”
Southwest says that travelers on WiFi-enabled flights will have the opportunity to use its onboard entertainment portal to watch Shark Week content. To top it off, an episode of African Shark Safari will exclusively premiere on its flights during the summertime promotion which kicked off on June 30.
Southwest is using the partnership to highlight the launch of brand new international routes as it continues to expand from being a traditional domestic carrier. This year, Southwest wants people to visit the Cayman Islands — where it recently began service from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) to Owen Roberts International Airport (GCM) on June 4. The destination is the 101st, and newest, to join the airline’s route map.
This isn’t the first time Southwest has launched a wild-life themed campaign. Southwest and SeaWorld had previously partnered for more than 26 years, even featuring a specialty plane dubbed Penguin One, but stopped when the documentary Blackfish drew concerns about the treatment of killer whales at the park.
All images courtesy of Southwest Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.