Southwest is Flying a Shark-Themed Boeing 737 in Honor of Shark Week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Shark Week is about to take flight…with the help of Southwest Airlines. The popular week of shark-filled programming — which is set to air on Discovery Channel from July 23 through July 30 — is making an appearance at 35,000 feet on one of Southwest’s Boeing 737-700 planes. The airline, known for its signature blue paint scheme, is featuring shark-themed livery “swimming” along its fuselage now until August 31.
According to Southwest’s Director of Communications, Brandy King, ”[The] partnership with Discovery connects Southwest with the millions of fans around the world who tune in each year for the week-long phenomena that is Shark Week.”
Southwest says that travelers on WiFi-enabled flights will have the opportunity to use its onboard entertainment portal to watch Shark Week content. To top it off, an episode of African Shark Safari will exclusively premiere on its flights during the summertime promotion which kicked off on June 30.
Southwest is using the partnership to highlight the launch of brand new international routes as it continues to expand from being a traditional domestic carrier. This year, Southwest wants people to visit the Cayman Islands — where it recently began service from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) to Owen Roberts International Airport (GCM) on June 4. The destination is the 101st, and newest, to join the airline’s route map.
This isn’t the first time Southwest has launched a wild-life themed campaign. Southwest and SeaWorld had previously partnered for more than 26 years, even featuring a specialty plane dubbed Penguin One, but stopped when the documentary Blackfish drew concerns about the treatment of killer whales at the park.
All images courtesy of Southwest Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees