This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s something you probably didn’t expect to hear: Norwegian (a low-cost carrier) will be the first to offer passengers complimentary Wi-Fi on its transatlantic routes. A Norwegian spokesperson confirmed that the carrier plans to offer free connection for all passengers, regardless of class of service, within one year on both its Boeing 787 Dreamliners and MAX 8 aircraft.
Once Wi-Fi technology has been installed on its aircraft that are operating transatlantic routes, Norwegian will be the first low-cost carrier to offer this perk for free on long-haul routes. Other carriers, such as legacy US carriers, British Airways and more offer Wi-Fi, but at a cost to the passenger. The implementation of the complimentary connection would be huge for Norwegian in helping to separate its in-flight experience from that of the competition.
What makes this decision particularly interesting is that because Norwegian is a low-cost carrier, travelers are required to pay for essentially everything else. Unlike its legacy counterparts, Norwegian flyers must pay for baggage, meals on board and seat selection. So, giving something such as Wi-Fi for free to passengers is a bit unexpected — let alone being the only low-cost carrier to offer it on its long-haul routes.
Norwegian already offers passengers free Wi-Fi on most of its flights within Europe and on its flights between the US and Caribbean. The airline currently serves many cities in Europe from Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Hartford (BDL), Denver (DEN), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Orlando (MCO), Las Vegas (LAS), Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK), Newark (EWR), Newburgh (SWF), Oakland (OAK), Providence (PVD) and Seattle (SEA). In addition, it just recently announced that it’s set to begin new transatlantic service from Austin (AUS) and Chicago (ORD).
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards