Japan Airlines Eliminating Human Massage Therapists in Tokyo First Class Lounges
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the perks of flying Japan Airlines first class — or having Oneworld Emerald status (i.e. from American Airlines Executive Platinum status) — is the incredible Japan Airlines First Class Lounges in Tokyo’s Narita (NRT) or Haneda (HND) airports. At HND, there’s a teppanyaki grill serving made-to-order beef. Meanwhile, in NRT, you’ll find a sushi bar serving fresh, made-to-order sushi.
At both HND and NRT (in both the main and satellite first class lounges), visitors currently have the option of one 10 minute complimentary message — full-body, head or foot. While the treatment itself is only 10 minutes long, it’s an incredible massage that melts away the stress from a long transpacific flight or helps you relax before a another one.
Not surprisingly, it’s not exactly easy to reserve a time slot. We’ve often had to hurry from our connecting flights to sign-up for a massage slot hours in advance — sometimes having to squeeze it in right before our next flight. But, it’s always been worth the hassle.
Sadly, these table-based massages are going away in just over two months. The human massage therapists are being replaced by machines. On Friday, JAL posted this notice on their website:
From October 1, 2017, the relaxation service offered by massage therapists in the international lounge at Narita Airport and Haneda Airport will be discontinued, and 3S Takumi medical massage chairs will be increased to offer relaxation service to more customers.
These message chairs can already be found in the JAL lounges, and there’s usually one available for use. However, the controls can be difficult and the chair doesn’t respond to your feedback as easily as a masseuse.
Sadly these chairs will be the only form of massage you’ll get in the JAL First Class lounges in NRT and HND soon. At least there’s still the sushi/teppanyaki, right?
H/T: View From The Wing
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees