Hainan Airlines Flaunts New Flight Attendant Uniforms at Paris Couture Week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While American Airlines is still trying to figure out why its new(ish) uniforms are making employees sick, Hainan Airlines is taking onboard fashion to new heights— about 35,000 feet, to be exact. The China-based airline made a splash this week when it debuted its new uniforms at Paris Couture Week.
Designed by Laurence Xu, the uniforms mix classic detailing with a fashion-forward style. The overall design is based on a traditional Chinese dress women wear on special occasions — a Cheongsam — and features colorful patterns meant to remind you of the ocean and mountains, as well as the clouds and sky you’re flying through on Hainan.
But there’s more to this uniform than meets the eye. According to a press release by Hainan Airlines, “The 3/4 sleeves denote simplicity and just the right amount of modesty, symbolic of the cabin crew’s high level of competence. The apron is designed like a tulip-shaped dress to emphasize, in equal measure, elegance, femininity, aesthetics and practicality. The Western-style draping incorporates popular international fashion elements alongside a sense of high-quality professionalism.”
We’ll say. The gorgeous new onboard attire has been two years in the making, with Xu creating more than 1,000 blueprints and testing more than 100 samples of garments and accessories to get just the right look. It’s going to be pretty tough to compete with your cabin crew for Best Dressed on your next Hainan flight.
Which airline do you think has the best flight attendant uniforms? Sound off, below.
All images courtesy of Hainan Airlines.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees