This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While American Airlines is still trying to figure out why its new(ish) uniforms are making employees sick, Hainan Airlines is taking onboard fashion to new heights— about 35,000 feet, to be exact. The China-based airline made a splash this week when it debuted its new uniforms at Paris Couture Week.
Designed by Laurence Xu, the uniforms mix classic detailing with a fashion-forward style. The overall design is based on a traditional Chinese dress women wear on special occasions — a Cheongsam — and features colorful patterns meant to remind you of the ocean and mountains, as well as the clouds and sky you’re flying through on Hainan.
But there’s more to this uniform than meets the eye. According to a press release by Hainan Airlines, “The 3/4 sleeves denote simplicity and just the right amount of modesty, symbolic of the cabin crew’s high level of competence. The apron is designed like a tulip-shaped dress to emphasize, in equal measure, elegance, femininity, aesthetics and practicality. The Western-style draping incorporates popular international fashion elements alongside a sense of high-quality professionalism.”
We’ll say. The gorgeous new onboard attire has been two years in the making, with Xu creating more than 1,000 blueprints and testing more than 100 samples of garments and accessories to get just the right look. It’s going to be pretty tough to compete with your cabin crew for Best Dressed on your next Hainan flight.
Which airline do you think has the best flight attendant uniforms? Sound off, below.
All images courtesy of Hainan Airlines.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees