Air France to Launch New Airline Targeted at Millennials Called Joon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air France is the latest travel brand attempting to target millennials. The carrier announced today that it’s going to launch a new, lower cost airline, called Joon, which will represent its attempt to lure new and younger travelers.
At launch, which is expected in the fall, Joon will offer travelers short-haul routes from its base at Paris’ Charles de Gaulle (CDG). In 2018, Air France is planning for Joon to start long-haul routes. The carrier plans to release exact routes, services and fares in September. But, for now, Air France is trying to bring down costs for itself while also competing with low-cost carriers on short-haul routes and the Gulf carriers on the (future) long-haul routes.
With today’s announcement, Joon has also released its livery and some indications of what aircraft it might fly on its routes:
According to a press release, Joon is aimed at young, working travelers, “whose lifestyles revolve around digital technology.” What exactly does that mean? It’s pretty unclear, and the vague wording continues — “This new brand has been entirely designed to meet their requirements and aspirations, with an authentic and connected offering that stands out in the world of air transport.” (…What?)
Here’s a video that was released with today’s announcement:
Air France has made it clear that Joon won’t be a low-cost carrier in the traditional sense, as it’s offering “original products and services that reflect those of Air France.” Jean-Michel Mathieu, who’s been with Air France-KLM for most of his career, will take the helm as the CEO of Joon.
It’s going to be very interesting to see if Air France will be successful in its mission to target millennials. At this point, the plans look pretty bare bones — we just have depictions of what the crew uniforms will look like, no firm routes and nothing that says what will makes Joon unique. Hopefully Air France can work on crafting Joon into something special that will attract travelers — even if they’re not specifically millennials.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees