Four Airlines Just Announced Free Changes for Flights Today
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
It’s a stormy day in the Northeast, and to ease pressure on travelers heading through the area, four airlines just released travel change fee waivers for flights today.
If you’re flying to/from the affected airports, you can utilize these change fee waivers to rebook yourself on a different date. Or, if you’re just connecting through the area, you can use these change fee waivers to reroute yourself through different airports or on different dates.
Here’s a map of all of the airports included in at least one of the waivers below:
Remember, if you can’t delay your itinerary, airlines aren’t going to be responsible for paying for your meals or hotels in the case of weather-related delays/cancellations. But some top cards have flight delay/cancellation insurance that can reimburse you for weather issues, including the Citi Prestige ($500 per passenger for 3+ hour delay), the Chase Sapphire Reserve ($500 per ticket for 6+ hour or overnight delay) and Chase Sapphire Preferred ($500 per ticket for 12+ hour or overnight delay).
As of this writing, here are the available travel waivers for today:
- Travel date: June 19
- Airports affected: Allentown, Pennsylvania (ABE); Baltimore, Maryland (BWI); Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (MDT); New York Kennedy, New York (JFK); New York LaGuardia, New York (LGA); Newark, New Jersey (EWR); Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (PHL); Stewart Newburgh, New York (SWF); Washington Dulles, Washington D.C. (IAD); Washington Reagan, Washington D.C. (DCA); White Plains / Westchester County, New York (HPN); Wilkes-Barre / Scranton, Pennsylvania (AVP)
- Must have bought your ticket by June 18. Rebook travel anytime between June 19-23. You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same cabin or pay the difference.
- Travel date: June 19
- Airports affected: Allentown, PA (ABE); Baltimore, MD (BWI); Harrisburg, PA (MDT); Philadelphia, PA (PHL); New York, NY – Kennedy (JFK); New York, NY – LaGuardia (LGA); Newark, NJ (EWR); Newburgh, NY (SWF); Scranton, PA (AVP); Washington-Dulles, D.C. (IAD); Washington-Reagan, D.C. (DCA); White Plains, NY (HPN)
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: June 22
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond June 22, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance.
- Travel dates: June 19
- Airports affected: Albany (ALB); Baltimore-Washington (BWI); Boston (BOS); Hartford (BDL); Islip (ISP); New York LaGuardia (LGA); Manchester (MHT); Newark (EWR); Norfolk (ORF); Philadelphia (PHL); Portland (PWM); Providence (PVD); Richmond (RIC); Washington D.C. (IAD/DCA)
- Customers who are holding reservations on Monday, June 19, and want to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with [Southwest’s] accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge.
- Travel dates: June 19
- Airports affected: New York/Newark, NJ (EWR); New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK); New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA); Philadelphia, PA (PHL); White Plains, NY (HPN)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before June 23, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
JetBlue has issued a travel notice, but no free changes are allowed at this time.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.