Uber’s New Feature Allows You to Book Rides for Others
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: The Platinum Card® from American Express
Uber is making it easier for you to request rides for family or friends. Starting today, you can directly request rides for other people, like your drunk friend, a party guest, mom, dad or anyone else in your contacts list by setting the pickup address to anywhere that is not your phone’s current location. From there you will be able to select a rider, set their destination, and request a ride on their behalf.
The new feature lets anyone — even those without a smartphone — reap the convenience of ridesharing. The rider gets a text message that includes their driver’s name, license plate information and a link to a map tracking their ride progress. And to make sure that everyone is in the loop, the passenger will receive a phone number to directly contact the driver, too.
The company has gone through a turbulent period in recent weeks, punctuated by the resignation of former CEO Travis Kalanick. But, it has made some in-app improvements that are beneficial to both drivers and riders, especially the addition of a feature that lets passengers tip drivers.
Uber hopes the feature provides “safe, reliable transportation options for everyone in the family” including senior citizens who lack the mobility to travel on their own. Does this mean the days of actually needing to go to the airport to pick people up are over? Maybe, but if your grandparents are visiting, you probably be old-fashioned and meet them at baggage claim.
If you don’t already have an Uber account, you can sign up here to receive a $20 credit from TPG. Be sure to also sync a credit card with your Uber account so you can earn the greatest return on your ride, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which gives you 3x points per dollar on travel or the Platinum Card from American Express card, which offers a $200 annual Uber credit to cardholders.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees