Here’s How To Make a TSA Reject Puppy Your Next Pet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Transportation Security Administration’s airport security dogs are some of the most rigorously trained pups around. They’ve got to be — their sensitive snouts help keep our skies safe. But not all young canines make the cut.
For those pups who don’t, the next step is finding them a proper home. Enter TSA’s semi-regular puppy giveaway, in which the agency offers up their reject pups for adoption to the general public. The most recent application period wrapped up on Monday, but another window is slated to open up in August.
Although that’s a few months away, now’s the time to get a head start on applying. Here’s a shortlist of what you need to know to get a puppy of your very own, courtesy of the TSA:
- You must have a fenced in yard at the time of applying.
- There should be no intentions of moving within six months of adopting a dog.
- Homes must abide by all local pet ordinances.
- You must agree to provide the dog with appropriate medical care, exercise, training and companionship.
- All existing pets in the home must have current vaccinations and preventive care.
- The age of children in the home will be taken into consideration when selecting a dog.
Keep in mind that these puppies are untrained — which is why they’re up for adoption, after all. Don’t expect your new best friend to be housebroken or obedient right out of the gate.
If you get past the application stage, be sure that you can travel to Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, in San Antonio, Texas, where the dogs are held. The TSA advises that you may need to make multiple trips, as there are no same-day adoptions. Read the TSA’s page about its Canine Adoption Program for more infomation.
There isn’t much of a points angle here, but lets be real: Who doesn’t like free puppies? And for all you points purists out there, consider using your American Express Platinum card to get 5x points on the flight into San Antonio. Heck, while you’re at it book a room in San Antonio’s St. Anthony Hotel with your Starwood Points.
H/T: AOL News
Featured image courtesy of Alex Wong via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees