This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When the floodgates opened allowing US citizens to travel to Cuba, airlines were quick to jump at the opportunity — almost too quick. In fact, there’s too much capacity in the market. So, just a few months after service began, some airlines such as American and JetBlue cut back service to Cuba, and others such as Silver, Spirit and Frontier, have ended service altogether. Now, Southwest Airlines is the latest to feel the pressure from sagging demand.
The Dallas-based carrier announced today that it’s going to focus all of its Cuba flights on Havana (HAV). Following September 4, 2017, Southwest will end its routes to Varadero (VRA) and Santa Clara (SNU). However, it’ll retain its 2x daily nonstop service from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Havana (HAV) and daily nonstop service from Tampa (TPA) to HAV. In addition, it’s applied with the US Department of Transportation for a third daily nonstop between FLL and HAV.
It’ll be interesting to see how the Cuban travel situation continues to develop, especially given the Trump Administration’s recent announcement that it will restrict travel and business interactions with the country.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees