Etihad Scrapping San Francisco Service This Fall
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Abu Dhabi-based Etihad Airways has said that it’ll be discontinuing service to San Francisco (SFO), which it began back in 2014, as of October 29, 2017. What started as daily service operated by its Boeing 777-200LR has since been cut to three times weekly. After leaving SFO this fall, Etihad will maintain service from Abu Dhabi (AUH) to the following US airports:
- Chicago (ORD)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- New York (JFK)
- Washington, D.C. (IAD)
The carrier cited weak passenger demand as the reason for the end of the route, but said its other US routes are performing well. It’s probably no coincidence that this announcement comes on the heels of the recently introduced carry-on electronics ban, which applies to Etihad flights entering the US. Worth noting, too, is that Air India flies nonstop between SFO and Delhi (DEL), which likely took away a good amount of business from the carrier.
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.