Qantas CEO Gets Pie’d in the Face During Speech
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s something you definitely don’t see every day: A major airline’s CEO getting pie’d in the face. Qantas CEO Alan Joyce was speaking at a business breakfast in Perth when a man walked onto the stage, approached Joyce from behind and splattered a lemon meringue pie in his face before walking off stage.
The stunned Joyce stood there, wondering what had just hit him — literally. You can watch the incident in the news clip, below:
— 7 News Melbourne (@7NewsMelbourne) May 9, 2017
After waltzing calmly across the stage — and after pieing Joyce with a creepy, stern, emotionless look on his face — the man was detained by security. Once authorities arrived, they interviewed the man, but as of this writing, there’s no information on whether the man will face any charges.
Overall, Joyce handled himself very professionally during the whole incident. Immediately after the pieing, Joyce said he didn’t know what that was about before leaving the stage to clean himself up. Following the talk, Joyce jokingly asked for dry cleaner recommendations in Perth for his lemon meringue-infused clothes.
Featured image courtesy of William West via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.