Qantas CEO Gets Pie’d in the Face During Speech
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s something you definitely don’t see every day: A major airline’s CEO getting pie’d in the face. Qantas CEO Alan Joyce was speaking at a business breakfast in Perth when a man walked onto the stage, approached Joyce from behind and splattered a lemon meringue pie in his face before walking off stage.
The stunned Joyce stood there, wondering what had just hit him — literally. You can watch the incident in the news clip, below:
— 7 News Melbourne (@7NewsMelbourne) May 9, 2017
After waltzing calmly across the stage — and after pieing Joyce with a creepy, stern, emotionless look on his face — the man was detained by security. Once authorities arrived, they interviewed the man, but as of this writing, there’s no information on whether the man will face any charges.
Overall, Joyce handled himself very professionally during the whole incident. Immediately after the pieing, Joyce said he didn’t know what that was about before leaving the stage to clean himself up. Following the talk, Joyce jokingly asked for dry cleaner recommendations in Perth for his lemon meringue-infused clothes.
Featured image courtesy of William West via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees