This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Dubai, the city notorious for its massive skyscrapers, luxury shopping and flashy lifestyle, is once again building an over-the-top attraction. The flamboyant city is planning a $1.7 billion development project: two new artificial islands that will surround the city’s famed Burj Al Arab Jumeirah, the massive sail-shaped hotel that has come to represent the luxury of Dubai.
The two islands, named Marsa Al Arab, will cover over four million square feet of reclaimed land. Each island will have a distinct focus. One will be a private island with 14 luxury villas, a boutique hotel and a marina for residents. The other is designed with tourists in mind featuring a family-friendly resort, a gigantic 2.5 million square-foot marine park and a 1,700 seat theatre which will house the Middle East’s first Cirque du Soleil show.
The project is projected to finish in 2020, the same year that the city will host the World Expo. While the islands are sure to be luxurious, Dubai has been known to take its time on projects before. The Palm Jumeirah, an artificial archipelago, has been under construction since 2002, and The World, a small archipelago of islands resembling the literal globe, has been under construction for over a decade. Hopefully this project will be completed soon, as an extra 1.4 miles of sandy beach in one of the world’s most extravagant cities sounds pretty good to us.
Featured image of the Dubai Marina courtesy of Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees