Dubai Set to Build $1.7 Billion Man-Made Island
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Dubai, the city notorious for its massive skyscrapers, luxury shopping and flashy lifestyle, is once again building an over-the-top attraction. The flamboyant city is planning a $1.7 billion development project: two new artificial islands that will surround the city’s famed Burj Al Arab Jumeirah, the massive sail-shaped hotel that has come to represent the luxury of Dubai.
The two islands, named Marsa Al Arab, will cover over four million square feet of reclaimed land. Each island will have a distinct focus. One will be a private island with 14 luxury villas, a boutique hotel and a marina for residents. The other is designed with tourists in mind featuring a family-friendly resort, a gigantic 2.5 million square-foot marine park and a 1,700 seat theatre which will house the Middle East’s first Cirque du Soleil show.
The project is projected to finish in 2020, the same year that the city will host the World Expo. While the islands are sure to be luxurious, Dubai has been known to take its time on projects before. The Palm Jumeirah, an artificial archipelago, has been under construction since 2002, and The World, a small archipelago of islands resembling the literal globe, has been under construction for over a decade. Hopefully this project will be completed soon, as an extra 1.4 miles of sandy beach in one of the world’s most extravagant cities sounds pretty good to us.
Featured image of the Dubai Marina courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.