Dubai Set to Build $1.7 Billion Man-Made Island
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Dubai, the city notorious for its massive skyscrapers, luxury shopping and flashy lifestyle, is once again building an over-the-top attraction. The flamboyant city is planning a $1.7 billion development project: two new artificial islands that will surround the city’s famed Burj Al Arab Jumeirah, the massive sail-shaped hotel that has come to represent the luxury of Dubai.
The two islands, named Marsa Al Arab, will cover over four million square feet of reclaimed land. Each island will have a distinct focus. One will be a private island with 14 luxury villas, a boutique hotel and a marina for residents. The other is designed with tourists in mind featuring a family-friendly resort, a gigantic 2.5 million square-foot marine park and a 1,700 seat theatre which will house the Middle East’s first Cirque du Soleil show.
The project is projected to finish in 2020, the same year that the city will host the World Expo. While the islands are sure to be luxurious, Dubai has been known to take its time on projects before. The Palm Jumeirah, an artificial archipelago, has been under construction since 2002, and The World, a small archipelago of islands resembling the literal globe, has been under construction for over a decade. Hopefully this project will be completed soon, as an extra 1.4 miles of sandy beach in one of the world’s most extravagant cities sounds pretty good to us.
Featured image of the Dubai Marina courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees