Delta to Introduce Face-Scanning Baggage Drop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta has announced that facial recognition technology is making its way to Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport this summer. The airline will be introducing four self-service bag drop machines, one of which will include technology that confirms the traveler’s identity by matching a picture of their face with their passport photo.
Delta hopes the new feature will save customers time and free up Delta agents to “seek out travelers and deliver more proactive and thoughtful customer service.”
It’s the first technology of its kind used by any of the US airlines and comes on the heels of Delta introducing a baggage-tracking system allowing customers to see where their luggage is all the way from the plane to the carousel. Tokyo’s Narita airport unveiled a similar self-service bag drop machine in March, but the device did not include a biometric feature like Delta’s.
The machine in Tokyo is said to shorten the time to check a bag by 2-3 minutes, and other studies have shown that self-service baggage drops have the potential to process twice as many customers per hour.
Delta said the kiosks cost $600,000 and are currently in trial mode. The airline plans on collecting customer feedback before introducing the technology elsewhere.
Featured image courtesy of Delta.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees