United Dreamliner Shift Spells Bad News for Houston Flyers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is ditching Houston in favor of Washington, D.C. — for its Dreamliners, that is. With the change coming this winter, the airline is closing its 787 pilot base at Houston’s Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), one of its largest hubs. Following this shift, Houston-based passengers who have enjoyed traveling on United’s flashy new Dreamliners will be relegated to aging 777s and 767s, instead.
According to a FlightGlobal report, the new 787s at Washington’s Dulles Airport (IAD) will begin operating some of the carrier’s routes beginning October 29, 2017, including service to Beijing (PEK; currently operated by a 777-200), London (LHR), Paris (CDG) and Sao Paulo (GRU; currently operated by a 767-400ER). Beginning October 29, IAH-Frankfurt (FRA) will be operated by a 777-200 and IAH-Bueno Aires (EZE) will be operated by a 767-300ER.
United said that no routes will be discontinued as a result of the 787 pilot base being closed. The reasoning for the change is to get better utilization out of its fleet, which it believes it can do with the switch from IAH to IAD. In addition to the soon-to-be-defunct Dreamliner base in Houston, United also has 787 pilot bases in Los Angeles and San Francisco.
United currently has 12 787-8s in its fleet in addition to 20 787-9s, with more extended-length Dreamliners on the way this year and next.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.