Paris Mayor Bans Cars Along Two-Mile Stretch of the Seine
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In order to combat air pollution while simultaneously creating a more pedestrian-friendly city, the mayor of Paris recently signed an order to ban cars from driving along a two-mile stretch of the Right Bank, allowing pedestrians, bikers, rollerbladers and sunbathers to enjoy this part of the Seine in a relaxed, car-free setting.
“We’ve dreamed of this moment for 15 years — but now pedestrians and the children can have this magnificent walkway,” Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo said during the opening ceremony of ‘Rives de Seine’ last weekend.
The area had been closed to traffic since October of 2016 so experts could study the effect it would have on traffic flow in an already terribly congested city. Last fall, after air pollution reached a level three times higher than it should, Parisian authorities ordered that all public transportation fees be waived in an attempt to help curb it.
While pedestrians are sure to be happy about the new walking zone, 168 mayors signed an open letter to Mayor Hidalgo, asking her to reopen the space to cars, the closing of which they believed would lead to more congestion and longer commutes. Despite the urging of her fellow mayors, Hidalgo forged ahead. “We aren’t anti-cars, we’re anti-pollution. Long live life, long live Paris and long live fresh air.”
H/T: Travel and Leisure
Featured image of the Seine Riverbank courtesy of Francois Guillot via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees