An Enormous Iceberg Has Become a Hot Tourist Attraction in Newfoundland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
California can keep its super bloom; Canada’s got a much cooler attraction: a giant iceberg that’s dwarfing the tiny town of Ferryland, Newfoundland. Located about an hour south of St. John’s, the gigantic mass of ice showed up over Easter weekend and immediately began to draw attention — and camera-toting visitors, who were anxious to snap a photo of (and with) the massive floe, which doesn’t seem anxious to go anywhere.
Ferryland, which has a population under 500, is located at the tip of what’s known as “Iceberg Alley,” and it’s easy to see why. Still, even some of the town’s most prominent residents have been wowed by this particular sight — as have hundreds of tourists. Over the weekend, traffic in the normally quiet town was bumper to bumper, and it could stay that way for the near future.
On Monday, Ferryland Mayor Adrian Kavanagh told CTV News that it looked as if the iceberg had grounded itself, which means that it could hang around for a while. And more of them could be on the way. Kavanagh said he’s been hearing reports that the wind could pick up and bring more icebergs to Ferryland, adding that “on a clear day, you can see five or six big bergs.” But something tells us none will be as big as this behemoth. Check out the video below for some amazing aerial views of Ferryland’s famous iceberg.
H/T: CTV News
Featured image courtesy of Newfoundland & Labrador Tourism’s Facebook page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.