An Enormous Iceberg Has Become a Hot Tourist Attraction in Newfoundland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
California can keep its super bloom; Canada’s got a much cooler attraction: a giant iceberg that’s dwarfing the tiny town of Ferryland, Newfoundland. Located about an hour south of St. John’s, the gigantic mass of ice showed up over Easter weekend and immediately began to draw attention — and camera-toting visitors, who were anxious to snap a photo of (and with) the massive floe, which doesn’t seem anxious to go anywhere.
Ferryland, which has a population under 500, is located at the tip of what’s known as “Iceberg Alley,” and it’s easy to see why. Still, even some of the town’s most prominent residents have been wowed by this particular sight — as have hundreds of tourists. Over the weekend, traffic in the normally quiet town was bumper to bumper, and it could stay that way for the near future.
On Monday, Ferryland Mayor Adrian Kavanagh told CTV News that it looked as if the iceberg had grounded itself, which means that it could hang around for a while. And more of them could be on the way. Kavanagh said he’s been hearing reports that the wind could pick up and bring more icebergs to Ferryland, adding that “on a clear day, you can see five or six big bergs.” But something tells us none will be as big as this behemoth. Check out the video below for some amazing aerial views of Ferryland’s famous iceberg.
H/T: CTV News
Featured image courtesy of Newfoundland & Labrador Tourism’s Facebook page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees