Director M. Night Shyamalan on Being a Nervous Flyer and What He Always Packs
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You may remember M. Night Shyamalan as being the force behind successful films The Sixth Sense and Signs — his latest movie, Split, stars James McAvoy as a serial killer with 23 personalities living inside him. Here, the talented screenwriter, director producer and actor opens up about his travel preferences and offers some background into his writing process.
What’s the best trip you’ve ever taken?
I try not to travel too much, but when I do, I love going to Europe, France in particular. I go there after every movie. There’s no place like it. I love the people, the food, everything about it. It’s so beautiful and friendly.
Considering so many bad things happen to the characters in your films, what’s the worst thing that’s happened to you on a trip?
I’m a very lucky guy. Only good things have happened to me when I’ve traveled. I’ve led a charmed life.
What must you have when you travel?
That’s a really good question. For me, it’s my notebook. I need something so I can write things down. I always have ideas so I’m always writing things down.
Are you a points guy?
Yes, of course. Why not?
What do you use your points on?
What kind of traveler are you?
I’m someone who worries a lot. Every time I step onto the plane, I’m certain that this is it. I get nervous.
It must have something to do with your wild, vivid imagination.
I think that has something to do with it.
It’s hard to believe it’s been nearly 20 years since The Sixth Sense was released and the rumor is that the movie was initially going to be different.
It started out as a serial killer movie with the main character, Malcolm, as a crime scene photographer. He’s in a school hallway looking at the art kids have drawn. He looks at this one particular drawing and notices a star that’s the same design as the one that’s on the victims of a serial killer. This child has drawn the same exact design in crayon. Malcolm looks to see who drew it and it’s his own son, so he realizes his son is seeing the victims of the killer.
How do you write your scripts?
I do a lot of outlining — for months.
Why should anyone travel to your hometown of Philadelphia?
To see (the Philadelphia 76ers rookie superstar) Joel Embiid. His energy matches our city. He’s so much fun to watch and he’s very sweet. We’re a young, exciting city and Embiid represents that for us. Sports is entertainment — it should be about fun and he’s always fun. The best version of yourself is the one when you’re having fun. When I see professional athletes not having fun with this lazy, dull look like they’re working in a cubicle, I don’t understand it. Embiid, who is such an amazing basketball player, embodies what I would want to be like if I played professional sports for a living.
Featured image courtesy of Tara Ziemba via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees