Tip: Take a Free Walking Tour to Explore a New City
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In case you weren’t aware and are looking for something to do on your next trip, many cities around the world offer free walking tours. There isn’t an official fee for these tours, but the idea is that you tip your guide at the end of the tour if you’re satisfied.
The guides are typically knowledgeable, energetic and speak excellent English. Depending on the country you’re visiting, these tours have different times, lengths, styles and are created by different companies (some are even sponsored by the city itself), but a simple Google search can help you find one that’s right for you.
How much should you tip? It depends on the length of the tour, how other people are on the tour and and how satisfied you are after the tour, but it’s common to tip anywhere from $5-$20 per person. If you consider the cost of paying for a group or private tour, even though “free” tours aren’t totally free, you’re still saving money. For example, a 3.5 hour walking tour on Viator.com in Bangkok starts at $33.50 (though it does include hotel drop off and pickup). A free walking tour would cost you just the price of the tip. Even if you tipped $15, that’s still less than half the cost of the paid tour.
If you’re interested in seeing what’s available on your next trip, try Googling the city you’re going to and the phrase “free walking tour” to see what comes up. You’ll never know if you don’t check.
Featured image courtesy of Horacio Villalobos via Getty Images.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees