Tip: Take a Free Walking Tour to Explore a New City
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In case you weren’t aware and are looking for something to do on your next trip, many cities around the world offer free walking tours. There isn’t an official fee for these tours, but the idea is that you tip your guide at the end of the tour if you’re satisfied.
The guides are typically knowledgeable, energetic and speak excellent English. Depending on the country you’re visiting, these tours have different times, lengths, styles and are created by different companies (some are even sponsored by the city itself), but a simple Google search can help you find one that’s right for you.
How much should you tip? It depends on the length of the tour, how other people are on the tour and and how satisfied you are after the tour, but it’s common to tip anywhere from $5-$20 per person. If you consider the cost of paying for a group or private tour, even though “free” tours aren’t totally free, you’re still saving money. For example, a 3.5 hour walking tour on Viator.com in Bangkok starts at $33.50 (though it does include hotel drop off and pickup). A free walking tour would cost you just the price of the tip. Even if you tipped $15, that’s still less than half the cost of the paid tour.
If you’re interested in seeing what’s available on your next trip, try Googling the city you’re going to and the phrase “free walking tour” to see what comes up. You’ll never know if you don’t check.
Featured image courtesy of Horacio Villalobos via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.