Tip: Take a Free Walking Tour to Explore a New City
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In case you weren’t aware and are looking for something to do on your next trip, many cities around the world offer free walking tours. There isn’t an official fee for these tours, but the idea is that you tip your guide at the end of the tour if you’re satisfied.
The guides are typically knowledgeable, energetic and speak excellent English. Depending on the country you’re visiting, these tours have different times, lengths, styles and are created by different companies (some are even sponsored by the city itself), but a simple Google search can help you find one that’s right for you.
How much should you tip? It depends on the length of the tour, how other people are on the tour and and how satisfied you are after the tour, but it’s common to tip anywhere from $5-$20 per person. If you consider the cost of paying for a group or private tour, even though “free” tours aren’t totally free, you’re still saving money. For example, a 3.5 hour walking tour on Viator.com in Bangkok starts at $33.50 (though it does include hotel drop off and pickup). A free walking tour would cost you just the price of the tip. Even if you tipped $15, that’s still less than half the cost of the paid tour.
If you’re interested in seeing what’s available on your next trip, try Googling the city you’re going to and the phrase “free walking tour” to see what comes up. You’ll never know if you don’t check.
Featured image courtesy of Horacio Villalobos via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.