This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In case you weren’t aware and are looking for something to do on your next trip, many cities around the world offer free walking tours. There isn’t an official fee for these tours, but the idea is that you tip your guide at the end of the tour if you’re satisfied.
The guides are typically knowledgeable, energetic and speak excellent English. Depending on the country you’re visiting, these tours have different times, lengths, styles and are created by different companies (some are even sponsored by the city itself), but a simple Google search can help you find one that’s right for you.
How much should you tip? It depends on the length of the tour, how other people are on the tour and and how satisfied you are after the tour, but it’s common to tip anywhere from $5-$20 per person. If you consider the cost of paying for a group or private tour, even though “free” tours aren’t totally free, you’re still saving money. For example, a 3.5 hour walking tour on Viator.com in Bangkok starts at $33.50 (though it does include hotel drop off and pickup). A free walking tour would cost you just the price of the tip. Even if you tipped $15, that’s still less than half the cost of the paid tour.
If you’re interested in seeing what’s available on your next trip, try Googling the city you’re going to and the phrase “free walking tour” to see what comes up. You’ll never know if you don’t check.
Featured image courtesy of Horacio Villalobos via Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees