This New Luxury Hotel Gives You Private Access to Iceland’s Blue Lagoon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Believe it or not, the Blue Lagoon was created as a result of the operations of a geothermal power plant back in the 1970s — nowadays, it’s one of Iceland‘s most popular tourist attractions. Located on the Reykjanes Peninsula, the lagoon houses geothermal water that originates 6,500 feet below the surface, where freshwater and seawater combine at extreme temperatures. As the water travels to the surface, it acquires silica and minerals which supposedly are healing for the skin.
The site sees as many as 700,000 visitors a year, making it one of Iceland’s most visited attractions. For those who don’t love crowds, there’s good news — a luxury property known as Moss Hotel is being built on-site and guests will have access to a private swimming area that’s separate from the main lagoon.
The boutique hotel will have just 62 rooms, some of which will feature terrace access to the geothermal waters. Other rooms will have balconies and floor-to-ceiling windows that allow guests to gaze at the volcanic landscape and other surrounding scenery.
The hotel will also be home to a ‘subterranean spa’ called Lava Cove, which is located in an 800-year-old lava flow and promises to facilitate the restorative properties of the geothermal water.
More discerning guests will be able to visit Hidden Cove, a private spa that’ll boast a private chef, masseuse and butler. Moss Hotel is set to open in the fall of 2017 with room rates beginning around $1,000 per night.
H/T: The Telegraph
All images courtesy of the hotel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees