This New Luxury Hotel Gives You Private Access to Iceland’s Blue Lagoon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Believe it or not, the Blue Lagoon was created as a result of the operations of a geothermal power plant back in the 1970s — nowadays, it’s one of Iceland‘s most popular tourist attractions. Located on the Reykjanes Peninsula, the lagoon houses geothermal water that originates 6,500 feet below the surface, where freshwater and seawater combine at extreme temperatures. As the water travels to the surface, it acquires silica and minerals which supposedly are healing for the skin.
The site sees as many as 700,000 visitors a year, making it one of Iceland’s most visited attractions. For those who don’t love crowds, there’s good news — a luxury property known as Moss Hotel is being built on-site and guests will have access to a private swimming area that’s separate from the main lagoon.
The boutique hotel will have just 62 rooms, some of which will feature terrace access to the geothermal waters. Other rooms will have balconies and floor-to-ceiling windows that allow guests to gaze at the volcanic landscape and other surrounding scenery.
The hotel will also be home to a ‘subterranean spa’ called Lava Cove, which is located in an 800-year-old lava flow and promises to facilitate the restorative properties of the geothermal water.
More discerning guests will be able to visit Hidden Cove, a private spa that’ll boast a private chef, masseuse and butler. Moss Hotel is set to open in the fall of 2017 with room rates beginning around $1,000 per night.
H/T: The Telegraph
All images courtesy of the hotel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.