A Peek Inside Jacques Torres’ New York City Chocolate Museum
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New York City is home to some of the world’s most famous museums. Now, it’s added one of the most delicious to its cultural roster, with the opening of Choco-Story New York: The Chocolate Museum and Experience with Jacques Torres. It’s the brainchild of legendary chocolatier Jacques Torres and Eddy Van Belle, a chocolate lover who has opened four other Choco-Story museums around the world — the Big Apple edition is located at Torres’ popular SoHo shop on Hudson Street. And while there’s plenty of chocolate to be tasted, the museum is dedicated to teaching its sweet-toothed visitors how their favorite treat made the journey from bean to bar.
A range of ancient Mayan and Aztec artifacts, some dating all the way back to 250 BC, helps illustrate the history of the cacao bean, from initial cultivation to modern-day consumption (for a long time, chocolate was solely in the culinary domain of gods and nobility, which seems only right). Don’t worry — there’s plenty of time for tasting, too; visitors can sample of range of premium chocolates, including blend and single origin chocolates in white, milk and dark varieties; fresh, hand-ground Mayan hot chocolate; and handmade chocolate truffles. The museum offers chocolate bar-making classes to its visitors and is an all-ages, totally hands-on experience.
“I’m so passionate about all things chocolate that I can think of nothing better than having the opportunity to share my knowledge and its history,” Torres said in a press release of the impetus for the museum.
Ready to stop reading and start eating? Choco-Story New York is open Wednesday through Sunday from 10:00am to 5:00pm and you can purchase your tickets ahead of time through the website. Feel free to show your thanks by sending any leftover chocolates our way.
Featured image courtesy of Kevin Chiu/Jacques Torres.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.