A Peek Inside Jacques Torres’ New York City Chocolate Museum
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New York City is home to some of the world’s most famous museums. Now, it’s added one of the most delicious to its cultural roster, with the opening of Choco-Story New York: The Chocolate Museum and Experience with Jacques Torres. It’s the brainchild of legendary chocolatier Jacques Torres and Eddy Van Belle, a chocolate lover who has opened four other Choco-Story museums around the world — the Big Apple edition is located at Torres’ popular SoHo shop on Hudson Street. And while there’s plenty of chocolate to be tasted, the museum is dedicated to teaching its sweet-toothed visitors how their favorite treat made the journey from bean to bar.
A range of ancient Mayan and Aztec artifacts, some dating all the way back to 250 BC, helps illustrate the history of the cacao bean, from initial cultivation to modern-day consumption (for a long time, chocolate was solely in the culinary domain of gods and nobility, which seems only right). Don’t worry — there’s plenty of time for tasting, too; visitors can sample of range of premium chocolates, including blend and single origin chocolates in white, milk and dark varieties; fresh, hand-ground Mayan hot chocolate; and handmade chocolate truffles. The museum offers chocolate bar-making classes to its visitors and is an all-ages, totally hands-on experience.
“I’m so passionate about all things chocolate that I can think of nothing better than having the opportunity to share my knowledge and its history,” Torres said in a press release of the impetus for the museum.
Ready to stop reading and start eating? Choco-Story New York is open Wednesday through Sunday from 10:00am to 5:00pm and you can purchase your tickets ahead of time through the website. Feel free to show your thanks by sending any leftover chocolates our way.
Featured image courtesy of Kevin Chiu/Jacques Torres.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees