How a Saudi King Travels — Escalators, Limos and 1500-Person Entourage Included
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The arrival of the Saudi King in Indonesia on Wednesday was unlike anything we’ve seen from other foreign dignitaries. After the Saudi Royal Family’s 747 landed, the king did not take the stairs down to the tarmac; he used his own personal escalator.
King Salman also likes to surround himself with assistants, diplomats and security people; his massive entourage of over 1,500 people included 800 delegates, 25 princes and 10 ministers. While in Indonesia, the King and his squad will be staying in Jakarta’s top hotels including the Ritz-Carlton, the Raffles Jakarta and the JW Marriott.
With all these people comes a lot of luggage — about 500 tons of it, including two Mercedes-Benz S600 limousines and two electric elevators. The cargo arrived on its own fleet of more than seven airplanes comprised of two Boeing 747-400s, two 777s, one 757 and two 737-800 passenger jets. Additional cargo was flown in on a Lockheed C-130 Hercules, typically a military transport plane.
Saudi royalty isn’t exactly known for its subtlety when traveling. On a 2015 trip to France, the King closed off a section of a beach and installed a private elevator to get to the sand. And in 2014 Salman, then just a crown prince, reportedly booked three entire Maldives resorts for his vacation.
It’s the first time that a Saudi King has traveled to Indonesia in almost 50 years. Salman will be visiting various parts of the country but is ending his trip in Bali where he plans on enjoying “the natural beauty of the island.” The King’s entourage will be staying in some of the finest hotels, including the Bulgari Resort, where suites can go for up $4,400 a night.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees