New BVI Dive Site Features Ship That Survived Pearl Harbor
On Dec. 7, 1941, fuel tanker YO-44 was able to avoid the bombs falling on Pearl Harbor by relocating to nearby Merry Point Landing, making it one of only five ships to survive the attack. The YO-44 was decommissioned after WWII and later became a fishing boat named the Kodiak Queen.
Fast-forward to more than 70 years later, when historian Mike Cochran came across the Kodiak Queen rusting in a maritime junkyard on Tortola in the British Virgin Islands in 2012. Hoping to save the boat, he created a website that eventually caught the attention of Sir Richard Branson, who has since partnered up with Unite BVI, Secret Samurai Productions, Maverick1000, Beneath the Waves and a number of other groups to turn it into an underwater art installation. The project, called Project YOKO B.V.I. Art Reef, will also feature an 80-foot Kraken, along with an artificial coral reef designed to support the area’s endangered marine life.
The ship, which will now be equal parts art, history and ocean conservation, is set to sink to the bottom of the ocean on March 10, and will be open to visitors a month or two later. Branson told The New York Times he hopes the new dive site will encourage the local children to get in the water and become involved with water conservation at an early age — no doubt history buffs of all ages will soon be stopping by to check it out, too.
H/T: The New York Times
Featured image courtesy of BVI Art Reef’s Facebook page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.