New BVI Dive Site Features Ship That Survived Pearl Harbor
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Dec. 7, 1941, fuel tanker YO-44 was able to avoid the bombs falling on Pearl Harbor by relocating to nearby Merry Point Landing, making it one of only five ships to survive the attack. The YO-44 was decommissioned after WWII and later became a fishing boat named the Kodiak Queen.
Fast-forward to more than 70 years later, when historian Mike Cochran came across the Kodiak Queen rusting in a maritime junkyard on Tortola in the British Virgin Islands in 2012. Hoping to save the boat, he created a website that eventually caught the attention of Sir Richard Branson, who has since partnered up with Unite BVI, Secret Samurai Productions, Maverick1000, Beneath the Waves and a number of other groups to turn it into an underwater art installation. The project, called Project YOKO B.V.I. Art Reef, will also feature an 80-foot Kraken, along with an artificial coral reef designed to support the area’s endangered marine life.
The ship, which will now be equal parts art, history and ocean conservation, is set to sink to the bottom of the ocean on March 10, and will be open to visitors a month or two later. Branson told The New York Times he hopes the new dive site will encourage the local children to get in the water and become involved with water conservation at an early age — no doubt history buffs of all ages will soon be stopping by to check it out, too.
H/T: The New York Times
Featured image courtesy of BVI Art Reef’s Facebook page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees