Silvercar Will Soon be Acquired by Audi
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Luxury German automaker Audi has shared that they will be acquiring Silvercar, the startup car rental company that has disrupted the industry as of late. Audi currently owns 20% of the company after investing $28 million in the startup last year. But after the deal goes through, they will own 100% of Silvercar, which was founded in 2012 with the goal of improving the typically lousy experience customers have with traditional rental car companies.
Silvercar uses technology to streamline the process of renting a car — you can make a reservation, request pickup from the airport and unlock the vehicle all in the mobile app. Whereas traditional rental car companies charge fees for just about everything but with Silvercar you don’t experience the price gouging. Its fleet — comprised exclusively of Audi A4s — includes free GPS, Wi-Fi and satellite radio, fair toll prices, and you’ll be charged at market prices (plus a $5 fill-up fee) if you bring back your car without a full fuel tank.
Silvercar currently operates in 12 cities, with most of the rental locations being located near the cities’ airports. TPG contributors have had great experiences with the product and have found the prices to be reasonable. Audi, part of the Volkswagen Group, is expected to complete the acquisition by the end of June, pending regulatory approval. Under the new ownership, it’s likely we’ll the service expand to more cities as well as more innovation in the space.
For now, it sounds like nothing will change about how Silvercar operates. But like all takeovers, there sure to be some eventual changes. In a press release, Audi gave few details about what they actually plan for the rental startup, though it seems that it’s taking part in a current trend for large automakers to invest in mobility companies:
Note that if you haven’t used Silvercar yet, you can earn a $25 credit on your first rental by entering this code: BKELLY1.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees