Amex Details Next Round of Business Platinum Card Improvements
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN
Update 4/4/17: Amex has confirmed that the Business Platinum card will be available in a metal version later this year.
Update 3/6/17 11:20am: We reached out to Amex for clarification on a few points below:
- Metal card — there are no plans to issue The Enhanced Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN in metal at this time.
- 5x on Pay with Points bookings — you won’t earn points on flights booked as part of a Pay with Points redemption, so the new 5x earning rate will not apply to these reservations.
- Employee cards — Platinum, Gold and Green authorized user cards can earn 5x points on airfare and prepaid hotels booked through Amextravel.com as of March 30, 2017. Points will be deposited into the master account.
- Priority Pass — the new benefit of two additional guests will apply automatically for all lounge visits beginning March 30. There is no need to request this feature to be added to your account.
March 30 is a very big day for the Amex Platinum card — and now we know that this product’s business counterpart will be getting some notable updates, too. On that date, the Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN will add the following benefits, as Amex confirmed to TPG:
- 5 points per dollar on airfare and prepaid hotels booked at Amextravel.com — this almost matches the consumer card benefit, but note that unlike with that card, you won’t earn 5x on airfare purchased directly through an airline.
- Priority Pass Select improvements — enrolled cardmembers will now be permitted two guests.
So, great, that means the fee’s going up, too, right? Fortunately not. The Business Platinum Card’s fee will remain at $450.
These are the only confirmed changes at this time — while there’s still a few weeks to add perks like the Uber credit and metal card before March 30, I wouldn’t expect those features to make their way over to the biz product unless the fee gets bumped up to $550 (which we don’t want to see, of course).
These two benefits join the card’s other recent major addition: the ability to redeem points toward airfare at 2 cents apiece. With 5x points on airfare booked at Amextravel.com and the 50% rebate on revenue flight redemptions, this could easily become your go-to card for booking flights — whether you’re paying cash for a business trip or redeeming points for leisure.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees