Passengers Walk Through Unmanned TSA Checkpoint and Board Flights at JFK
A major failure in airport security occurred today at New York’s JFK Terminal 5 — the terminal used primarily by JetBlue. Around approximately 6am this morning, 11 passengers passed through TSA PreCheck metal detectors into the secure area of the terminal without receiving the required security screening.
Compounding this error was the TSA’s failure to promptly notify the proper authorities. TSA procedures are to immediately report the situation to law enforcement, who can then review the security tapes and find the unscreened passengers in the terminal. However, TSA agents began searching the terminal themselves and didn’t notify law enforcement until almost two hours later.
According to the Washington Times, law enforcement agents completed their security canvas by 9:05am, but didn’t locate any of the 11 passengers. After reviewing the security tapes, law enforcement was able to determine that all three passengers who set off the metal detectors are known to have boarded a flight to California. The flight — or flights — which these passengers boarded wasn’t revealed; however, the TSA stated that the the agency “conducted security measures at the passengers’ arrival airport.”
The TSA provided the following statement to The Points Guy, which refers only to the three passengers who set off the metal detectors as they passed through:
The Transportation Security Administration is reviewing reports of a possible security incident this morning at John F Kennedy International Airport Terminal 5. Early reports indicate three passengers did not receive required secondary screening after alarming the walk through metal detector. [sic] All personal carry-on bags received required screening. A K9 team was present at the checkpoint at the time of the incident.
While undoubtedly the TSA would prefer to downplay this situation, this statement glosses over the extraordinary failure of TSA to properly screen passengers — particularly passengers that set off metal detectors.
This is not the first time there’s been a major failure of security at New York’s JFK airport. Back in October, The Points Guy himself had an issue at JFK on a flight arriving from Miami when a gate agent incorrectly routed the deplaning passengers from his flight to international arrivals and customs instead of the domestic exit. The situation got chaotic with neither ID’s nor boarding passes being checked before people were allowed to exit immigration. The Points Guy shared his experience on Facebook Live.
Considering this previous incident and today’s debacle, is security becoming a major ongoing problem at JFK airport?
H/T: NBC News
Featured image courtesy of Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees