Tip: Take Control of Your Hotel Room Thermostat
No, it’s not your imagination: hotel thermostats have gone rogue. If you’ve ever taken a look at your hotel thermostat to see a cool 70 degrees yet your room feels far more like a sauna, you’re familiar with the plight of many travelers fighting their thermostats for the perfect temperature.
Hotel thermostats are often not under your control — with limits for how high or low temperatures can go — which can lead to sweaty nights in the summer and chilly nights in the winter. But there’s a way you can override the system and take back control of the temperature.
According to lifehacker, there are simple steps you can take to put select thermostats in “VIP” mode, giving you full control:
- Hold down the “display” button
- While holding that button, press “off”
- Release off, continue to hold down display, and press the “up” arrow button
- Release all buttons
And voila, the temperature is at your command. Of course, this isn’t guaranteed to work on all types of thermostats, but on your next hotel stay, it could be worth trying out.
Image courtesy of the W Hotel South Beach.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.