This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
No, it’s not your imagination: hotel thermostats have gone rogue. If you’ve ever taken a look at your hotel thermostat to see a cool 70 degrees yet your room feels far more like a sauna, you’re familiar with the plight of many travelers fighting their thermostats for the perfect temperature.
Hotel thermostats are often not under your control — with limits for how high or low temperatures can go — which can lead to sweaty nights in the summer and chilly nights in the winter. But there’s a way you can override the system and take back control of the temperature.
According to lifehacker, there are simple steps you can take to put select thermostats in “VIP” mode, giving you full control:
- Hold down the “display” button
- While holding that button, press “off”
- Release off, continue to hold down display, and press the “up” arrow button
- Release all buttons
And voila, the temperature is at your command. Of course, this isn’t guaranteed to work on all types of thermostats, but on your next hotel stay, it could be worth trying out.
Image courtesy of the W Hotel South Beach.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees