This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
No, it’s not your imagination: hotel thermostats have gone rogue. If you’ve ever taken a look at your hotel thermostat to see a cool 70 degrees yet your room feels far more like a sauna, you’re familiar with the plight of many travelers fighting their thermostats for the perfect temperature.
Hotel thermostats are often not under your control — with limits for how high or low temperatures can go — which can lead to sweaty nights in the summer and chilly nights in the winter. But there’s a way you can override the system and take back control of the temperature.
According to lifehacker, there are simple steps you can take to put select thermostats in “VIP” mode, giving you full control:
- Hold down the “display” button
- While holding that button, press “off”
- Release off, continue to hold down display, and press the “up” arrow button
- Release all buttons
And voila, the temperature is at your command. Of course, this isn’t guaranteed to work on all types of thermostats, but on your next hotel stay, it could be worth trying out.
Image courtesy of the W Hotel South Beach.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees