This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
No, it’s not your imagination: hotel thermostats have gone rogue. If you’ve ever taken a look at your hotel thermostat to see a cool 70 degrees yet your room feels far more like a sauna, you’re familiar with the plight of many travelers fighting their thermostats for the perfect temperature.
Hotel thermostats are often not under your control — with limits for how high or low temperatures can go — which can lead to sweaty nights in the summer and chilly nights in the winter. But there’s a way you can override the system and take back control of the temperature.
According to lifehacker, there are simple steps you can take to put select thermostats in “VIP” mode, giving you full control:
- Hold down the “display” button
- While holding that button, press “off”
- Release off, continue to hold down display, and press the “up” arrow button
- Release all buttons
And voila, the temperature is at your command. Of course, this isn’t guaranteed to work on all types of thermostats, but on your next hotel stay, it could be worth trying out.
Image courtesy of the W Hotel South Beach.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees