This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Big Major Cay is an uninhabited island in the Bahamas — except for its famous colony of swimming pigs, a major tourist attraction that’s become a staple of the Exuma Islands, where Big Major Cay (aka. Pig Beach), is located. But, last weekend, tragedy struck when almost half the colony’s population were discovered to be dead and washing out to sea.
According to an article by The Washington Post, the Bahamian government brought in veterinarians to examine the pigs and collect samples — they’ve yet to announce the results of the lab tests — and early investigations did not identify a specific cause of death. While no official conclusion has been reached as of this writing, there are several theories emerging. Bahamian Wayde Nixon, who is credited with bringing the pigs to Big Major Cay 30 years ago, believes tourists are responsible for killing the pigs by feeding them junk food and alcoholic beverages. But Bahamas Humane Society president Kim Aranha was not as quick to make accusations, believing it could have been an accident if multiple pigs happened to eat the same poisonous plant.
H/T: The Washington Post
Featured image courtesy of Shalamov via Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards