Dear Bahamas Tourists: Please Don’t Feed the Swimming Pigs
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Big Major Cay is an uninhabited island in the Bahamas — except for its famous colony of swimming pigs, a major tourist attraction that’s become a staple of the Exuma Islands, where Big Major Cay (aka. Pig Beach), is located. But, last weekend, tragedy struck when almost half the colony’s population were discovered to be dead and washing out to sea.
According to an article by The Washington Post, the Bahamian government brought in veterinarians to examine the pigs and collect samples — they’ve yet to announce the results of the lab tests — and early investigations did not identify a specific cause of death. While no official conclusion has been reached as of this writing, there are several theories emerging. Bahamian Wayde Nixon, who is credited with bringing the pigs to Big Major Cay 30 years ago, believes tourists are responsible for killing the pigs by feeding them junk food and alcoholic beverages. But Bahamas Humane Society president Kim Aranha was not as quick to make accusations, believing it could have been an accident if multiple pigs happened to eat the same poisonous plant.
H/T: The Washington Post
Featured image courtesy of Shalamov via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.