Want to Dine Above an Ancient Roman Road in Italy? Head to McDonald’s.
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Italy is famous for ancient ruins like the Colosseum, Pompeii and the Pantheon. But you don’t need to visit one of the country’s numerous celebrated sites to experience a bit of its history. The latest spot to view a part of Italy’s ancient culture? Good ole Mickey D’s.
On Tuesday, McDonald’s opened its doors in Marino, Italy with a special piece of history on display — a 147-foot stretch of an ancient Roman road. The restaurant, which is located about 12 miles southeast of central Rome, had to temporarily halt construction in 2014 when the road was discovered while digging for the building’s foundations.
While this sort of discovery is not uncommon in Italy, McDonald’s decision to sponsor the excavation and fund the site’s upkeep was rather remarkable. McDonald’s worked with archeological authorities to preserve the road, which is open to all visitors, not just those coming for a Happy Meal. The road, which was built between the first and second centuries B.C., would most likely have been purposefully recovered had McDonald’s decided not to preserve and maintain it.
McDonald’s has spent around $315,000 on the restoration project, which has included the excavation and documentation of the space as well as enclosing part of the road in a gallery with a glass ceiling so restaurant patrons can snack on their McNuggets while taking in the Roman road below. Squeamish customers should be wary though — the road also proudly displays the skeletons of three men found in the gutter of the road, unmoved from their original resting places.
— Daily Mirror (@DailyMirror) February 23, 2017
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.