Want to Dine Above an Ancient Roman Road in Italy? Head to McDonald’s.
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Italy is famous for ancient ruins like the Colosseum, Pompeii and the Pantheon. But you don’t need to visit one of the country’s numerous celebrated sites to experience a bit of its history. The latest spot to view a part of Italy’s ancient culture? Good ole Mickey D’s.
On Tuesday, McDonald’s opened its doors in Marino, Italy with a special piece of history on display — a 147-foot stretch of an ancient Roman road. The restaurant, which is located about 12 miles southeast of central Rome, had to temporarily halt construction in 2014 when the road was discovered while digging for the building’s foundations.
While this sort of discovery is not uncommon in Italy, McDonald’s decision to sponsor the excavation and fund the site’s upkeep was rather remarkable. McDonald’s worked with archeological authorities to preserve the road, which is open to all visitors, not just those coming for a Happy Meal. The road, which was built between the first and second centuries B.C., would most likely have been purposefully recovered had McDonald’s decided not to preserve and maintain it.
McDonald’s has spent around $315,000 on the restoration project, which has included the excavation and documentation of the space as well as enclosing part of the road in a gallery with a glass ceiling so restaurant patrons can snack on their McNuggets while taking in the Roman road below. Squeamish customers should be wary though — the road also proudly displays the skeletons of three men found in the gutter of the road, unmoved from their original resting places.
— Daily Mirror (@DailyMirror) February 23, 2017
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees