Two Space Tourists Just Booked a Trip to the Moon for 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In jaw-dropping space news today, SpaceX — an aerospace manufacturer and transport company founded by Elon Musk — announced that two “private citizens” have just booked a “trip around the moon late next year.” That’s right, SpaceX is planning on sending two people to the moon in 2018.
While these space tourists won’t actually land on the lunar surface, this will mark the first time since 1972 that mankind has ventured to the moon. Since then, the last 45 years of manned space travel have been limited to the Earth’s orbit. So this would be a spectacular feat for SpaceX and for the future of private spaceflight.
The launch date hasn’t been scheduled yet, but the flight will take off from an historical location: Cape Canaveral’s Pad 39A. Fittingly, this is the launch pad that was used by NASA for the Apollo program’s lunar missions.
The spacecraft that will power the historic journey is expected to be the Falcon Heavy rocket. At 5 million pounds of thrust, it’ll be the most powerful rocket since the Saturn V, with more than double the thrust of the next-largest rocket. The price for this trip has not yet been disclosed.
The two-man team will travel through space in the “Crew Dragon,” a cabin with space for up to seven astronauts. With its development funded by NASA’s Commercial Crew Program, the Crew Dragon was originally intended to ferry astronauts between Earth and the International Space Station (ISS). Unmanned supply missions to the ISS using the Crew Dragon will begin later in 2017, with manned missions scheduled for mid-2018.
Wondering if you can redeem miles/points to travel to space? While there aren’t any options to our knowledge right now, Virgin Australia’s Velocity program gave Australian travelers a chance to win and then redeem 25 million points for a seat onboard the first Virgin Galactic space mission. Sadly — or perhaps wisely given the current delays with the Virgin Galactic spacecraft — the winner chose a luxury holiday package instead.
Featured image courtesy of Kevork Djansezian / Stringer via Getty Images.
How much would you pay — in points, miles or cash — for a trip around the moon?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees