World’s Most Unusual Hotels: A Restored Pullman Train Car
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Many of us have loved trains since we could say, “Choo choo!” And though the majority of adults have put their “Thomas the Tank Engines” into the toy chest for good, there are still plenty of young souls who have stayed on track. For them, it’s time to book passage to the UK, where they can center their next trip around their fondness for the rails, to which we say, all aboard!
The ultimate accommodation option for train enthusiasts, The Sidings Hotel was created from five vintage Pullman train cars. Located about 70 miles northeast of Manchester in the charming Yorkshire countryside of the UK, the property was founded in 1985 and offers visitors the chance to sleep, dine or do both in early 20th-century train carriages. The hotel allows guests to overlook real working trains, too, as it’s built alongside the York to Thirsk line.
Sleeping in the old cars is truly a unique experience. Don’t expect loads of space, as the rooms are long and thin, being that they’re actual train cars. Still, the hotel has done an excellent job making each of the eight rooms as comfortable as possible, offering in-room tea- and coffee-making facilities, televisions, Wi-Fi, bath amenities, a hairdryer and en suite bathrooms in each room. Guests can choose between a single, twin, double or four-poster-bed double room.
Each of the rooms are named after famous trains or train routes, and are artfully decorated to reflect the appropriate time period. There’s the Flying Scotsman, which ran from London’s Kings Cross to Edinburgh — delightfully outfitted in plaid — as well as the Yorkshire Pullman and the Oriental Express. Prices for a one-night stay include a continental buffet breakfast and start at about 59.95 British pounds (~$73) per room.
Railway memorabilia and art are scattered throughout, and guests who can’t manage a stay here can at least stop for a bite at the on-site Mediterranean restaurant, where they can dine in the outside garden (weather permitting) or in the dining-car portion of the restaurant, giving them a real feel for the old Pullman experience.
Fly nonstop into Manchester Airport (MAN) from Chicago (ORD) on American Airlines, British Airways or Finnair or from New York (JFK) on Virgin Atlantic, Delta or United, among other carriers.
Once you’re in Manchester, make it a train extravaganza and take the TransPennine Express from Manchester Victoria Station to York Station. From there, it’s just a 10-minute drive to The Sidings Hotel. Alternatively, driving directly to the hotel from Manchester should take just under two hours.
A Final Tip
Although it may seem like there isn’t much to do in the misty Yorkshire countryside besides relax, it’s a true haven for history buffs and anyone who adores trains (obviously). The nearby town of York features the National Railway Museum and one of the largest Gothic cathedrals in northern Europe, while nearby Beningbrough Hall is home to vast amounts of art and antiques.
Would you stay in this wacky hotel? Have you stayed there before? Sound off below!
Featured image courtesy of The Sidings Hotel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees