Take the Whole Family to Northern Europe — Kids Fly (Almost) Free on SAS for a Limited Time
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – View the current offers here
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) is offering one of the more unusual deals we’ve seen in recent memory. If you book a round-trip ticket between the US and Scandinavia and Finland, you can take along up to 8 kids (12 and under) with you for only the cost of the taxes and fees associated with each extra ticket. This means that you can take the whole family along with you on a trip to Northern Europe for essentially the cost of just one adult ticket.
In order to take advantage of this deal, you must book your tickets by January 23 and travel between February 7 and April 9, 2017. You can book a reservation with two adults on it as well, but the total number of people on the reservation can’t exceed 9. In theory, a family with two parents can bring up to 16 children for free if each parent was booked on a separate reservation. Talk about the ultimate field trip!
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Chicago (ORD) to Stockholm for $1,146 round-trip for 1 adult and 8 kids:
Newark (EWR) to Oslo (OSL) for $1,285 round-trip for 1 adult and 8 kids:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Copenhagen (CPH) for $1,368 round-trip for 1 adult and 8 kids:
Miami (MIA) to Helsinki (HEL) for $1,468 round-trip for 1 adult and 8 kids:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: Dan’s Deals
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.