Hackers Hold Hotel Ransom After Attacking Smart Locks
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It seems like the Internet of Things has made it squarely on to the radar of hackers, recently at the expense of an Austrian hotel called the Seehotel Jägerwirt. Hackers launched an attack that hijacked the property’s “smart locks.” Guest room locks were overridden by the hackers, preventing guests from accessing their rooms and preventing staff from issuing new electronic keys.
The attackers demanded a ransom in exchange for control over the hotel’s smart locks. With a hotel full of guests and not many options, the four-star resort decided to pay the ransom — €1,500 worth of Bitcoin.
The attack is not the first the hotel has experienced, but actually the fourth in a series of hacks that has also crippled its reservations system. The property has already doled out thousands in ransom payments for the other attacks.
According to the hotel’s Managing Director Christoph Brandstätter, no guests were locked in their rooms, because fire codes require that electronic hotel locks must open from the inside. Police have no leads on who might have hacked the resort’s systems.
These attacks show the vulnerability of the Internet of Things, or “smart” devices that are connected to the internet. Along with spending €10,000 on digital security systems, Brandstätter says the hotel will be installing traditional locks in its next renovation.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.