This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It seems like the Internet of Things has made it squarely on to the radar of hackers, recently at the expense of an Austrian hotel called the Seehotel Jägerwirt. Hackers launched an attack that hijacked the property’s “smart locks.” Guest room locks were overridden by the hackers, preventing guests from accessing their rooms and preventing staff from issuing new electronic keys.
The attackers demanded a ransom in exchange for control over the hotel’s smart locks. With a hotel full of guests and not many options, the four-star resort decided to pay the ransom — €1,500 worth of Bitcoin.
The attack is not the first the hotel has experienced, but actually the fourth in a series of hacks that has also crippled its reservations system. The property has already doled out thousands in ransom payments for the other attacks.
According to the hotel’s Managing Director Christoph Brandstätter, no guests were locked in their rooms, because fire codes require that electronic hotel locks must open from the inside. Police have no leads on who might have hacked the resort’s systems.
These attacks show the vulnerability of the Internet of Things, or “smart” devices that are connected to the internet. Along with spending €10,000 on digital security systems, Brandstätter says the hotel will be installing traditional locks in its next renovation.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards