American Airlines Employees Granted Paid Maternity Leave, Adoption Benefits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you run across an American Airlines employee with an extra spring to his or her step, it might be because of the carrier’s new maternity and adoption policy. Effective March 1, many AA employees will receive “up to 10 weeks of fully paid time off to recover from pregnancy and delivery” and/or “up to $4,000 in financial support and positive space travel related to adoptions.”
American Airlines current maternity policy is only to allow six weeks of unpaid time off, as required by law. So, this is a massive shift.
Not all AA employees will be covered. The policy applies to US-based employees, and it doesn’t extend to employees working for American’s regional airlines (such as Envoy Air and Mesa Airlines). Also, employees must have one year of continual service with the airline prior to either the date of delivery or date the adoption is final. However, both union and non-unionized employees will be covered.
Shortly after the news broke yesterday, I spoke with an American Airlines flight attendant about the new policy. She verged on tears with excitement over the announcement. She had been considering trying to have a child, but the prospect of having so much unpaid time off was a hard sell for her and her significant other’s financial situation. The chance to have 10 weeks of paid time off would make a huge financial difference to them.
While this new policy doesn’t have any direct impact on flyers, we applaud American for making this family-positive and morale-boosting policy change.
Featured image courtesy of Miami Herald via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.