This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Given the long wait times travelers have grown accustomed to, especially during the summer, airlines are using their own resources in an attempt to improve TSA wait times. Delta recently tested out new TSA automated screening lanes at its hub in Atlanta (ATL), increasing efficiency by 30% at each lane, while American Airlines recently announced it would follow suit at Phoenix (PHX), Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) by the end of this year.
Now, United Airlines says it will be testing them out as well. The carrier is planning to install new automated security lanes at Newark (EWR), Chicago-O’Hare (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX) later this year, which will allow up to five passengers to fill their TSA bins at the same time, effectively speeding up the process of people moving through the line. In addition, bins will be automatically returned to the front of the line on a conveyor belt. The carrier will debut the new system this fall at EWR.
In addition, United is also working with the TSA to install PreCheck enrollment centers in its hubs at ORD, EWR, Houston (IAH), LAX and San Francisco (SFO). Don’t forget that if you don’t already have TSA PreCheck or Global Entry, you can receive a statement credit for the application fee by using a credit card, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express or Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard.
Following announcements that competitors would be doing something to decrease the wait for passengers, this is welcome news for United flyers, who soon be able to also have an expedited security screening process.
H/T: Chicago Tribune
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.