This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In 2015, the UK teamed up with the US to allow UK citizens to join Global Entry. The service, which was previously available to US citizens and permanent residents, along with citizens of Germany, Mexico, the Netherlands, Panama and South Korea, helps those entering the US get through immigration quicker. Whereas UK citizens used to have to come to the US for their Global Entry interview, they can now do it from London.
This week, US Customs and Border Protection announced that it was going to open a Global Entry enrollment center at the US Embassy in London. This new enrollment center isn’t permanent — it’s set to open for 60 days starting September 26. As always with Global Entry, applicants must be pre-approved before being able to schedule an appointment at the new location.
The application process will work the same for UK citizens as it previously did, they will just select the London enrollment center option for their interview appointment. UK citizens will register through the government website, pay 42 GBP, and once approved, they’ll complete the GOES application (and pay $100) and then interview with an agent. The new London US Embassy enrollment center will be open Monday through Wednesday from 8:00am through 4:30pm. It’s located at 24 Grosvenor Square in London.
This is a convenient way for UK-based travelers to get access to Global Entry. No longer do they have to travel to the US in order to be approved for Global Entry — they can do it right from London. Don’t forget there are several credit cards that offer a fee waiver for Global Entry and TSA PreCheck, such as the Amex Platinum and Citi Prestige.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards