New Exciting Way to Use Amazon Gift Cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earning as many miles and points as possible for purchases in your everyday life sometimes requires creative thinking. For example, I’m sure you have at least heard of buying gift cards to various third party stores or restaurants at office supply stores or grocery stores with a rewards credit card that earns a bonus at those stores in order to maximize your points earnings. For example, I sometimes buy e-gift cards to Whole Foods at Staples.com using my Ink Plus in order to earn 5x Ultimate Rewards points on my grocery purchases.
Though that isn’t really needed this quarter with grocery stores being a 5x bonus category of the Chase Freedom.
Another type of gift card that I often purchase at office supply stores or similar is an Amazon.com gift card at 5x points again using my Ink Plus. I then load those to my Amazon.com account, and my frequent Amazon purchases are simply automatically deducted from that balance unless I indicate otherwise.
While that system works great when I purchase things like diapers, grocery items, toilet paper, toys, and more from Amazon, it hasn’t historically worked if I want to purchase one of the hundreds of third party retailer gift cards available at Amazon.com to places like Hyatt, Southwest, Starbucks, Panera, Sephora, Nordstrom, and more sold by Amazon.com as Amazon didn’t allow you to pay for gift cards with an Amazon gift card.
This was a bummer for many reasons, including that Amazon sometimes offers great discounted gift card deals and some of us have hefty Amazon.com balances thanks to lots of great promos that were available in late 2015.
However, when I saw that rule had changed (at least in practice) thanks to a post from Points, Miles, and Martinis, I did a test this morning with my Amazon.com gift card balance and I was able to successfully pay for a Hyatt e-gift card with that balance, which was great news!
I hope this change is a permanent one as it will help open up new ways to save money and earn additional points!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees