This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just a couple of weeks after making a small — but very nice — change to its award routing rules, American Airlines has made another positive change to its AAdvantage mileage program: For travel on or after May 1, certain flights on Qatar Airways will earn more AA miles.
The affected Qatar fare classes are:
- R (business)
- H (full-fare economy)
- L, V, Q and W (discount economy)
Here’s the before and after — from AA:
Note that your earnings rate is only affected by this change if you’ve booked Qatar Airways flight numbers. If your flight is operated by Qatar Airways, but marketed by American Airlines (you’d have an AA flight number on your itinerary), your mileage earnings will be unaffected by this change. But, rest assured that you’re probably getting better AA mileage earnings if you’ve booked AA flight numbers.
To illustrate the impact of this change, let’s look at an example itinerary of Atlanta (ATL) to Doha (DOH) — a route which Qatar is launching June 1. These flights cover 14,886 miles round-trip. Here’s a before-and-after chart showing the impact of today’s change on your AAdvantage earning rates for the affected fare classes:
|Fare class||Award miles
|L & V||7,443||11,165||3,722||7,443||7,443||0|
As this chart shows, if you’re booked in fare class H, L, V, Q or W, the award miles you’ll earn from this sample round-trip increases by 3,722 miles. Per TPG’s latest valuation of AAdvantage miles, this small change to the chart has netted you ~$56 more in value. While this isn’t a game-changing number of miles, it’s always nicer to get more miles!
While these changes aren’t huge, we’re encouraged that American Airlines is continuing to enhance its program in even small ways. And, we’re hopeful for more and more positive changes.
Will you benefit from this latest AA change?
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.