Alaska Airlines Confirms Deal to Acquire Virgin America
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines just confirmed its plans to acquire Virgin America in a post on… Instagram.
According to a CNBC report, Alaska will purchase Virgin for $57 per share in a deal that’s valued at roughly $4 billion in total, including debt, beating the top offer of bidding war partner JetBlue. That’s a HUGE jump over Virgin America’s public valuation of $1.48 billion as of Friday, based on its share price of $38.90. Shares are Virgin are up nearly 35% in pre-market trading, to $52.25 per share. That’s still shy of Alaska’s purchase price, so the stock may continue to climb throughout the morning.
The all-cash deal, which was apparently signed Friday night following a bidding war that may have put Marriott/Anbang/Starwood to shame, was expected to be announced today. According to a WSJ article, JetBlue backed off once the bidding jumped too high.
Once combined, Alaska and Virgin will make up the country’s fifth most popular airline by traffic, unseating JetBlue, which currently ranks #5. Alaska would also get hubs at two key West Coast airports — Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO) — and a fleet of Airbus A320s (which may ultimately present a challenge for Alaska, which currently operates only Boeing 737 aircraft).
As for consumers, passengers will have fewer airline options following the merger, of course, but there’s no question that Virgin’s fleet represents an upgrade for Alaska flyers, with its high-tech cabins, comfier seats and superior catering options. Alaska, meanwhile, offers an arguably more comprehensive frequent-flyer program, giving current Virgin elites an opportunity to earn and redeem miles on a variety of US-based and international carriers.
What do you think of an Alaska/Virgin America merger?
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees