SPG Announces 2016 Hotel Category Changes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Already this year, we’ve seen Hilton, IHG and Marriott announce their hotels that will be changing categories in 2016. And now, SPG is joining the list with the announcement of its properties that will be moving up or down this year.
Of SPG’s nearly 1,300 worldwide properties, 282 will be changing categories — around 20% of its portfolio. In total, 168 hotels are moving up at least one category (around 12% of the chain’s portfolio) and 114 hotels are moving down (around 8% of its portfolio). One property is going down two categories (Sheraton Dubrovnik in Croatia; 4-2), one is going up two categories (Element Hanover in Lebanon, New Hampshire; 2-4) and one is going up a whopping four categories (Four Points by Sheraton Penghu in Taiwan; 1-5).
The changes will take effect on March 1, 2016, so you still have some time to book at the 2015 rates before they go up. You can find the full list here.
Here are some notable property changes:
The Westin Tokyo
This property is located in the heart of Tokyo and includes numerous restaurants and bars, a spa and fitness studio. As of March 1, this property will increase from a Category 5 (12,000-16,000 Starpoints per night) to a Category 6 (20,000-25,000 Starpoints per night).
Le Meridien Bora Bora
This renovated and contemporary hotel is set on an islet surrounded by the waters Bora Bora is known for. As of March 1, this property will decrease from a Category 7 (30,000-35,000 Starpoints per night) to a Category 6 (20,000-25,000 Starpoints per night).
W Retreat & Spa Bali — Seminyak
This picturesque property, with its 229 retreats, suites and villas, has a fitness center, spa, world-class restaurants and lounges, as well as a pool. As of March 1, this property will increase from a Category 6 (20,000-25,000 Starpoints per night) to a Category 7 (30,000-35,000 Starpoints per night).
Overall, many of these changes don’t appear to be too drastic. How good or bad they are depends mostly on your travel, but if you’re planning on visiting one of the hotels or resorts that’s going up in category, it’s best to book by March 1. And with the upcoming Starwood-Marriott merger, and not knowing how SPG will be impacted, it might be in your best interest to use Starpoints sooner rather than later.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees